Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Please send this letter TODAY!!!

Postby HummBebe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 3:26 pm

Follow this link:

http://www.sharetrails.org/letters-p4x4/letter.php?id=23

Boxer and McKeon Wilderness Bill
Summary:
Let's take out a Wildness Bill!

U.S. Senator Barbara Boxer and U.S. Representative Howard "Buck" McKeon are proposing a bill that would designate 400,000 acres of Wilderness in Mono County, CA, along the CA/NV border.

40 years ago, the Wilderness Act was passed to protect land from development and things like mining and commercial clear-cut logging. This act is an OUTDATED act, and NONE of these things are happening in this proposed area. There are many other ways to manage this land than to shut it down to everyone.

While some routes would remain in this "roadless" area if the bill passes (supposedly to keep the OHV public satisfied), this bill would close many others, including the Furnace Creek Road, a popular 4x4 route which has been in existence since BEFORE Inyo National Forest was even created. The road was used at the turn of the last century for ranching and mining, but there is evidence of use since the mid to late 1800s!

Here's the kicker: Ron Schiller of the High Desert Multiple-Use Coalition made a deal in the 1980s with land managers to keep the historic Furnace Creek Road open in exchange for other areas to become wilderness. Well, guess who has not kept their promise? The anti's are going back on their word and are trying to close this trail forever. The Forest Service, Politicians, and other land management agencies are going back on their commitments when the OHV community has kept our side of the deal. Not only that, now they are asking for even MORE wilderness!

This Wilderness Bill will also shut down many areas to snowmobile use, and eliminate access to the CA forest by Nevada OHV users.

We have a chance on taking out this bill and set a HUGE precedent for the OHV community's access rights.

If we are able to get 2,500 letters, they will be HAND DELIVERED by BRC in Washington D.C. to the powers that be!

WHAT TO WRITE:
Forms letters do not have the same effect that individual, personal letters have, so we are asking you to take 5 minutes to write a personal note to these representatives. To get you started, here is a suggestion on what to write:

A SALUTATION AND A CLOSING ARE NOT NEEDED! The letter generator will do that for you. Just write the body of the letter!

1st Paragraph:
Introduce yourself and tell them how you and your family enjoy public lands on OHVs.

2nd Paragraph:
Demand that the Wilderness Bill in this area NOT be passed.

Tell them how there are better ways to manage lands instead of just shutting them down to the public.

Tell them that the Wilderness Bill is not needed in this area as there is no encroaching development, mining or clear-cut logging in this area.

DEMAND that the historic Furnace Creek Road should remain open to OHV users, forest visitors, hunters, etc.

This bill will also eliminate many areas to snowmobile use! Demand that the bill not be passed to close the area to sleds that do NO DAMAGE to the land.

3rd Paragraph:
Thank them for their time and tell them that conservation, not confiscation, is the way to manage public lands.

Sample Letter:
Because it is more effective, we strongly encourage you to write your own letter. However, the following sample letter may be used by manually copying/pasting it into the body text:

I am very concerned about the Eastern Sierra and Northern San Gabriel Wild Heritage Act (HR 6156 and S 3069). This bill contains lands that are not suitable for Wilderness. It would close many popular snowmobile areas, mountain bike trails and 4x4 roads.

Of particular concern to me is the status of the Furnace Creek Road. Motorized recreation groups participated in a series of "compromise and consensus" meetings regarding the management of the Inyo National Forest in the latter part of the 1980s. The "Wilderness Issues Workgroup" consisted of stakeholders ranging from cattlemen to OHV users to hard-core Wilderness activists. The result was a management plan that had full "consensus" with all the stakeholders, including the so-called "conservation community." The motorized folks agreed to road and trail closures because the final agreement was a "workable compromise."

Fast forward a couple of decades, and we have the very same "conservation community" going back on their commitment and, via HR 6156 and S 3069, trying to close this wonderful road. It is very important to me that ALL parties to this compromise be required to live up to their commitments.

Over 40 years ago, when the Wilderness Act was passed (1964), rampant development of America's wildlands and backcountry was a real threat. The Wilderness Act was passed into law years prior to the passage of the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA), and a myriad of other environmental protection laws. As Congress passed laws to protect the environment, and recreation on public lands became more and more important to the American public, the preferred method to "protect" the land, Wilderness, got stuck in the 1960s.

Wilderness designations are out of touch with modern day realities. Public lands are now important recreation venues for mountain bikers, snowmobilers and Off-Highway Vehicle users, all of which are banned in Wilderness. Unfortunately the Wilderness lobby refuses to acknowledge the fact that other alternatives, including National Recreation Areas (NRA) or National Conservation Areas (NCA), provide the exact same level of protection from development that Wilderness carries.

I am asking you to OPPOSE the Eastern Sierra and Northern San Gabriel Wild Heritage Act (HR 6156 and S 3069).

As someone who values recreational access, I am asking you to SUPPORT alternatives that do not restrict the public's ability to view and enjoy our nation's public lands.

Instructions:
Fill out your personal information.
Add a bit of personal information in the letter text box. A bit about how much you enjoy OHV recreation is always a good idea. Be polite.
Fill in the security code and click Preview & Send.
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Please send this letter TODAY!!!

Postby PhilD » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:25 pm

Done :)
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:40 pm

PhilD wrote:Done :)

X2

Thank you for posting :yup: 8)
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby sfox » Tue Aug 12, 2008 4:45 pm

X3
sfox
Club Member
Club Member

Postby HummBebe » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:16 pm

Thanks..... :D

Edit, I figured it out.
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alec W » Tue Aug 12, 2008 9:03 pm

Done
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Sewie » Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:38 pm

Sent. :x
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Rich » Wed Aug 13, 2008 12:56 pm

Done....

and I spammed everyone on my email list. :evil:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby stjames151 » Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:44 pm

x7 (wife, brother, sister-in-law, sister, friend, dad, me).
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby HummBebe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:40 am

stjames151 wrote:x7 (wife, brother, sister-in-law, sister, friend, dad, me).

You guys seriously rock!
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby stjames151 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:49 am

CANT WAIT TO SEE YOU ON THE 22'ND! You gotta teach J how to she-wheel.
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Postby HummBebe » Thu Aug 14, 2008 12:48 pm

She-Wheel??? LOL

No Problem, but you may never get to wheel your own truck again....get ready to build her the buggy :lol:
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby stjames151 » Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:50 pm

She won't like mine anymore. just got the race trans in. FULL SEQUENTIAL BABY! better start building, huh. :lol: :lol:
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Postby beavis » Thu Aug 14, 2008 5:54 pm

How's this?

Sent 8)

SUBJECT: BOXER AND MCKEON WILDERNESS BILL

Dear Senator Boxer and Congressman McKeon,

I am writing to you on behalf of my concern regarding the potential closure of the Furnace Creek Road closure in the Inyo National Forest.

I enjoy off-road as one of my recreational pastimes and yes, I drive an H2 Hummer. But I am also a biologist, with two degrees from the University of Oregon, and am currently training to become a teacher in the state of California.

No one is more concerned about preserving ecological diversity than me. I am an avid bird-watcher on a global scale and my observations of various avian species has been documented in numerous scientific periodicals.

I am a member of the Sierra club, the National Wildlife Conservancy and the Arbor Day Foundation. My own residence has been designated a Monarch butterfly sanctuary and is also listed as a critical wildlife habitat by the NWF.

Through responsible, family-oriented wheeling activities, I have had the pleasure of introducing, educating and inspiring many people to learn more about fragile ecosystems, and appreciate the wonders of nature in their host environments.

I am asking you to OPPOSE the Eastern Sierra and Northern San Gabriel Wild Heritage Act (HR 6156 and S 3069).

As someone who values recreational access, I am asking you to SUPPORT alternatives that do not restrict the public's ability to view and enjoy our nation's public lands.

Sincerely,

Dan Langhoff,
beavis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Spyder Kar

Postby Seth » Thu Aug 14, 2008 6:37 pm

Very well put Beav. 8)
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Next

Return to Trail Talk