Corrol Hollow - NorCal

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Corrol Hollow - NorCal

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:13 pm

So after running corral hollow again this past weekend I think I've decided it's one of my favorite trails. It's only a moderate trail but in the scenery department it's hard to beat. It's an absolutely pristine area.

Without starting debate (please not on this thread) - there was some OHV damage to some of the meadow areas. Some of it pretty severe. :wall: At one point we actually came across a log that was obviously intentionally placed in the road. Rather than getting out to move it, people had been driving around it and through a soggy lush green grass area. We got out and moved the log and placed it as a barrier for the damaged area.

In another area we saw were someone had run up onto the mules ear for nearly 1/4 mile because it put the truck off camber and was more "fun". We saw the cherokee that caused this damage go past while us while we were having lunch. We know it was him because he was going backwards on the trail and the mules ear damage was extremely fresh and knocked over in the reverse direction. Wish I had known when he passed us.

Johnny and I were talking on the radio about the possibility of NorCal HXC adopting the trail. He's in and so am I.

Not a main motivation IMO but an added benefit is that corral hollow is also a popular trail for hikers and mountain bike riders. In that core of people I'm sure some are people who feel our rigs should not be out there. I think it would be positive PR for the 4x4 community.

Now I don't know how to adopt a trail. I'm sure Bebe would lend us a hand in that part of it. I thin what would be involved is erecting more signs (seemed to me the areas that had signs near the meadows had no damage) and possibly installing some barriers. There are a few bypasses that need blocking also. Additionally it would be nice to get out there this year and put some work into the damaged areas. We'd need someone to teach us to do that correctly.

So who else is in?
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Re: Corrol Hollow - NorCal

Postby Sewie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:46 pm

Contact the Forest Service first of all. I believe there is an agreement you have to sign that says you will do x number of cleanups per year, open/close trail each season, etc. A good portion of this trail is also on private land so I'm not sure how that works with the Adopt-a-Trail program.

Also, you may want to get in touch with the Gettin' Off 4wd Club. Corral Hollow used to be their AAT (they've since adopted Sourgrass).
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Alec W » Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:55 pm

It sounds like a great idea Rich.

Did you get the guys license plate and report him to the FS?
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:35 pm

Alec W wrote: Did you get the guys license plate and report him to the FS?

No. :( I wish.

By the time we hit that trail it was about 2:00 so shortly after starting it we found a suitable place to pull over for lunch. While we were there this lifted cherokee full of teenagers came blazing though as if running the baja. Smashing his undercarriage on rocks, blasting music, laughing. We just kinda rolled our eyes and watched for him to break something. We didn't see the trail damage until about an hour after they passed us. It was very evident it super fresh. I can't say they caused all of the other meadow damage but at the very least they went around the log in the road. Stupid because it was easy enough to move or if they felt that lazy it was small enough to drive over. :roll: I kept an eye out for the truck the rest of the weekend but never saw it.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:40 pm

Sewie wrote:Contact the Forest Service first of all. I believe there is an agreement you have to sign that says you will do x number of cleanups per year, open/close trail each season, etc. A good portion of this trail is also on private land so I'm not sure how that works with the Adopt-a-Trail program.

Will do. Any idea the office I should call?

Also, you may want to get in touch with the Gettin' Off 4wd Club. Corral Hollow used to be their AAT (they've since adopted Sourgrass).

Umm, not that sourgrass isn't a great trail but what exactly would you do to that trail? :duh: Not much chance to go off trail there except maybe in the camping area where it's legal anyway. Do they keep the brush cut back? If so, they need to get up there. :lol:
Rich

Postby Sewie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:51 pm

Rich wrote:
Will do. Any idea the office I should call?

Stanislaus National Forest
19777 Greenley Rd.
Sonora, CA 95370
(209) 532-3671

Calaveras Ranger District
P.O. Box 500
Hathaway Pines, CA 95233

(209) 795-1381
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:00 pm

yep, I had figured that out. Sorry.

Loni Allison is the person to talk to. He's working a fire today but I left a VM. Receptionist said he should call back soon.

I also emailed the 4x4 club you listed.
Rich

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:04 pm

oh, and I'm going to try and organize repair of the newly damaged areas asap.
Rich

Postby Sewie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:05 pm

Rich wrote:oh, and I'm going to try and organize repair of the newlay damaged areas asap.

I'll help out if I'm free. And since you're in the trail repair mood. ;)

viewtopic.php?f=32&t=7946
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby JohnnySizzle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:14 pm

Sounds good to me. Rich, I dont know how frequent I will be checking this forum but if anything comes up on short notice give me a call either at home or on my cell and I will do all I can to help.
"Its all fun & games......
until you realize that the previous owner MUST have used Loctite!!"

1997 Black HMCS: Rear head cooling kit, Remote PMD
1997 White HMCS: 240hp Pennisular Diesel crate engine, Heath computer, Alpha rims (with beadlocks not runflats), plus other miscellaneous mods.
M1101 Silver Eagle Cargo Trailer: Custom steel tongue, electric brakes, many mods to come!

http://www.myspace.com/Johnny_Sizzle
JohnnySizzle
Club Member
Club Member

Postby mak209 » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:15 pm

I can help you rich
mak209
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2000 H1 2008 H3

Postby Seth » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:42 pm

That's a great idea Rich. Glad you are helping out the 4x4 community.

I need to contact the forest service down here and see what trails, if any, that we love need to be adopted. I'd love to adopt Coyote Canyon, but I bet that one is taken.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Sewie » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:56 pm

Seth wrote: I'd love to adopt Coyote Canyon, but I bet that one is taken.

A trail can be adopted by multiple organizations. Fordyce is a good example.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Rich » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Seth wrote: I'd love to adopt Coyote Canyon, but I bet that one is taken.

I'm a firm believer that you must really like and care about a trail to adopt it (it can be lots of work) so if it is taken maybe contact the club who handles it and volunteer socal HXC to help on their work days.
Rich

Postby psychoh2 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:13 am

im with you rich corrol hollow is very pretty trail im in also but with my new business and all its now super hard to participate on runs and so forth my shop is open on saturdays but im free on sundays so if i can i will help out and continue to participate on hxc runs.
conceptmuffler.com
psychoh2
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: h2 911 twin turbo

Next

Return to Trail Talk