Mojave Road trail repairs - April 25-27th

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Mojave Road trail repairs - April 25-27th

Postby Sewie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Just a heads up for the SoCal and NV folks.

The South District of CA4WDC will host a conservation and rehabilitation project April 25 - 27 on the Mojave Road in conjunction with the National Park Service.
The project will be on the portion of the Mojave Road that goes around Piute Hill to the south following the old AT&T Underground Telephone Cable Route. The road, as it approaches the top of Piute Hill, has several small washouts and two very large ones that need to be filled in. The project will be to rebuild the water bars that have been washed out and to place gabions in the two washed out areas. This corrective maintenance will be done to prevent further washouts and keep the road from being closed because of safety concerns.
The work will consist of digging ditches to channel excess water off the road during storms to prevent the accumulation of water at the culverts, cleaning out the culverts, building water bars to direct water into the culverts and filling in the two badly eroded and washed out areas. The alternative to fixing the road is closure.
The National Park Service manages the Mojave Road in this area. Park Superintendent Dennis Schramm and South District Vice President Harry Baker have entered into an agreement to have their two organizations work together to repair the washouts.
The park service will provide the equipment and supplies needed to repair the road and the South District with help from others in the Off Road community will provide the manpower. The project will entail throwing a lot of rocks! Basically we'll be moving rocks from a stockpile area and filling in gabions and building water bars
The area to be repaired is best accessed from the west. It is between miles 27 and 30 on the Mojave Road and is depicted in the book The Mojave Road by Dennis Casebier. Enter the Mojave Road from the intersection of Lanfair Road, north out of Goffs, and Cedar Canyon Road , 17 miles north of Goffs, and travel east on the Cable Route to the camp area at the base of Piute Hill. Signs will be posted at the turn offs. The Mojave Road is not appropriate for other than 4 wheel drive or high clearance vehicles.
Jeep trailers, shovels, picks and pry bars will be helpful.
There will be a free dinner for all volunteers on Saturday, April 26.
For questions or to RSVP contact Harry Baker at 818-705-3930 or bakerhab@aol..com
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Re: Mojave Road trail repairs - April 25-27th

Postby Hunner » Sun Apr 13, 2008 6:33 pm

If I remember correctly I think this is where they are talking about. There were a couple of other places also. It sure is a great drive up there. I just got back or I would love to do what I could for that effort. This shows how badly it needs some work.
Thanks for that info. Is there a place to check for those announcements. In the future it would be nice to shedule a trip around some activity like that.
Attachments
DAH_8838_resize.JPG
DAH_8838_resize.JPG (275.67 KiB) Viewed 878 times
DAH_8839_resize.JPG
DAH_8839_resize.JPG (309.12 KiB) Viewed 878 times
DAH_8840_resize.JPG
DAH_8840_resize.JPG (232.39 KiB) Viewed 875 times
DAH_8837_resize.JPG
DAH_8837_resize.JPG (213.36 KiB) Viewed 876 times
DAH_8841_resize.jpg
DAH_8841_resize.jpg (192.69 KiB) Viewed 873 times
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby Sewie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:19 pm

Hunner wrote:Thanks for that info. Is there a place to check for those announcements.

I saw a couple mentions of it in the CA4WDC (CA Assoc. of 4wd Clubs) newsletter. Nothing on their website yet though. :/ What I quoted was from CORVA's website.

http://www.corva.org/Shows.html
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby Seth » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:12 pm

Hunner, that is definitely one of the spots. The worst however, is the detour around Piute Hill where you are on the narrow shelf road and have to squeeze by one of those washouts. I remember one person wouldn't even drive by the washout for fear of not making it. It was that bad, but that person had really bad fear of heights.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Rich » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:25 pm

Seth wrote: I remember one person wouldn't even drive by the washout for fear of not making it. It was that bad, but that person had really bad fear of heights.

For the record - it was not me. :lol:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby Hunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:36 pm

I think it was before those pictures, but after I made it across the others vehicles were too close behind me to stop. I should have gone back and shot a picture. I told them on the radio I was serious about hugging the wall! I made a quick glance off to the left, put a death grip on the wheel and went for it. Don't know why I did not go back and shoot a picture. Just glad to have made it past that point I guess. My feets were tired at that point. I felt like I stopped and shot pictures a thousand times, oh I did. We have terrain sort of like that here in Arkansas but you can't see it all open because of the dense trees. We have the Ozarks and Ouachita Mtns.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Hunner » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:38 pm

Seth wrote:Hunner, that is definitely one of the spots. The worst however, is the detour around Piute Hill where you are on the narrow shelf road and have to squeeze by one of those washouts. I remember one person wouldn't even drive by the washout for fear of not making it. It was that bad, but that person had really bad fear of heights.

So did someone drive for him? You have to continue on cause you can't pass!! My knees get wobbly next to an edge, like the Grand Canyon!
Hunner's Alpha
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Seth » Mon Apr 14, 2008 1:49 pm

Rich wrote:
Seth wrote: I remember one person wouldn't even drive by the washout for fear of not making it. It was that bad, but that person had really bad fear of heights.

For the record - it was not me. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Return to Trail Talk