Lower Coyote Canyon

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Seth » Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:29 pm

I just heard that Lower Coyote Canyon has been turned from a 6 into a 3. They completely graded out the 3 rock gardens going up the canyon. No more rock crawling and no more fun.

Word is that they opened it up so more people could go up it. This really sucks because for a lot of us down here it was one of our favorites. It had desert runs, to water crossings, up a rocky canyon and into a cool campground.

Rest in peace.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
User avatar
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego
Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Jeff_H3 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 pm

:cry:

Sounds like its time to find a better way into sheep canyon. :duh:
User avatar
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Orange County
Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Seth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:52 am

Pewterbird wrote::cry:

Sounds like its time to find a better way into sheep canyon. :duh:

Problem is that both sides of Coyote Canyon have now been graded. Upper Coyote Canyon which used to be even harder than lower was graded a couple years back because they needed fire access.

They are destroying our enjoyable trails. :x
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
User avatar
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego
Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Robo » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 pm

Pave paradise and put up a parking lot :(
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
User avatar
Robo
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 2252
Joined: Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:44 pm
Location: The Volunteer State
Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Seth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:39 pm

Robo wrote:Pave paradise and put up a parking lot :(

You would have loved Coyote Canyon Robo. Too bad you never got to see it. :(
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
User avatar
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego
Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:14 pm

Thats too bad. :( Beav will have a heart attack. :lol:

I heard they used to maintain that road to allow any vehicle up it and stopped years ago for some reason. I think it had to do with wanting less inpact on the upper flats so they simply stopped maintaining the road and it deteriorated into the CC we all know fairly quick.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
User avatar
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal
 
Posts: 14272
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:41 am
Location: NorCal
Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Seth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:32 pm

Rich wrote:Thats too bad. :( Beav will have a heart attack. :lol:

I heard they used to maintain that road to allow any vehicle up it and stopped years ago for some reason. I think it had to do with wanting less inpact on the upper flats so they simply stopped maintaining the road and it deteriorated into the CC we all know fairly quick.

Beav knows. He's sad as well. :( He said something about taking the Lexus up their this weekend. :o :lol:

I bet the deterioration is due to the amount of water that flows through that canyon. I am sure it washes away all the small stuff and leaves the big stuff. Hopefully this will happen again soon. Anybody up for some rain dancing at the top of CC? :evil: :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
User avatar
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego
Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby stjames151 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:41 pm

Seth wrote:
Rich wrote:Thats too bad. :( Beav will have a heart attack. :lol:

I heard they used to maintain that road to allow any vehicle up it and stopped years ago for some reason. I think it had to do with wanting less inpact on the upper flats so they simply stopped maintaining the road and it deteriorated into the CC we all know fairly quick.

Beav knows. He's sad as well. :( He said something about taking the Lexus up their this weekend. :o :lol:

I bet the deterioration is due to the amount of water that flows through that canyon. I am sure it washes away all the small stuff and leaves the big stuff. Hopefully this will happen again soon. Anybody up for some rain dancing at the top of CC? :evil: :lol:

You should get EMS to "rinse" all the "dust" off the trail for you.
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
User avatar
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 1843
Joined: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:43 am
Location: Here...."Amusing" the Retards
Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby beavis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:43 pm

I am very curious to see it, perhaps a recon mission is in store?

I looked on adventure4x4.net to see if anyone has posted recent pics of it but I couldn't find any.....
User avatar
beavis
Trail Master
Trail Master
 
Posts: 7770
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:10 pm
Vehicle: Spyder Kar

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Seth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:09 pm

beavis wrote:I am very curious to see it, perhaps a recon mission is in store?

I looked on adventure4x4.net to see if anyone has posted recent pics of it but I couldn't find any.....

Yeah, me neither. I scoured the net but found nothing as well.

stjames151 wrote:You should get EMS to "rinse" all the "dust" off the trail for you.

That, my friend, is a brilliant idea! :D Now all I have to do is find him. :where:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
User avatar
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego
Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Jeff_H3 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:36 pm

Seth wrote:
Pewterbird wrote::cry:

Sounds like its time to find a better way into sheep canyon. :duh:

Problem is that both sides of Coyote Canyon have now been graded. Upper Coyote Canyon which used to be even harder than lower was graded a couple years back because they needed fire access.

They are destroying our enjoyable trails. :x


When you say upper coyote canyon are you refereing to "Coyote Canyon Road" that starts near the highway 347 and 74 and runs down to Sheep Canyon/Collins Valley area?

Because if it was graded a few years ago, it might be worth checking out again.

I spent some time on the topo map for Anza Borrego, there are a few more trails out there. What else have people run? (Not Octillo)
User avatar
Jeff_H3
Club Member
Club Member
 
Posts: 832
Joined: Wed May 09, 2007 2:16 am
Location: Orange County
Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Seth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:58 pm

Pewterbird wrote:When you say upper coyote canyon are you refereing to "Coyote Canyon Road" that starts near the highway 347 and 74 and runs down to Sheep Canyon/Collins Valley area?

Because if it was graded a few years ago, it might be worth checking out again.

I spent some time on the topo map for Anza Borrego, there are a few more trails out there. What else have people run? (Not Octillo)

Sounds about right. I just spoke with the ranger the other day and he said they keep it nice and Honda Element friendly. :lol:

We still need to explore a lot of other trails in Anza-Borrego. There is Oriflame, Truckhaven, Corral Canyon, etc. Lot's of stuff, very tight trails, and not a ton of rock crawling, but definitely worth exploring.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
User avatar
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal
 
Posts: 9621
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:51 pm
Location: San Diego
Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby beavis » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:48 pm

We still need to explore a lot of other trails in Anza-Borrego. There is Oriflame, Truckhaven, Corral Canyon, etc. Lot's of stuff, very tight trails, and not a ton of rock crawling, but definitely worth exploring



WELL SAID SETH :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:


Sounds like we need a new HXC Anza PLANNING THREAD :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:
User avatar
beavis
Trail Master
Trail Master
 
Posts: 7770
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:10 pm
Vehicle: Spyder Kar

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby Bellvis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:01 am

I want to go to Corral Canyon!
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
User avatar
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master
 
Posts: 6779
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2007 4:27 pm
Location: The Orange County, CA
Vehicle: The Boobicon

Re: Lower Coyote Canyon

Postby beavis » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:08 pm

Hmmmm......... :yup:
User avatar
beavis
Trail Master
Trail Master
 
Posts: 7770
Joined: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:10 pm
Vehicle: Spyder Kar

Next

Return to Trail Talk

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest