H1 up escalator?

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Re: H1 up escalator?

Postby PhilD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:13 pm

Seth wrote:I am sure airing down to a low pressure would help get maximum rubber on the wall.
I was running 10 psi, the sidewalls on Iroks are tough and don't flex that well until you get real low, although they still flex pretty well at 10-12 psi. I believe the issue is more to do with the sidewall tread design, as it happened to me on several occasions, on vertical or close to vertical faces they just don't grip well.

As a side note, the KM2's flex substantially more, and seem to have better sidewall grip, although the sidewalls are not as tough as the Iroks they replaced.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Seth » Thu Apr 10, 2008 1:26 pm

That's good news on the KM2's. I know that you always air down way low. Nobody out this way hardly ever goes below 20. I go down to about 17-18. I just don't see a whole lot of benefit without going below 20. I really notice a difference on the dunes.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby Alec W » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:51 pm

Seth wrote:I just don't see a whole lot of benefit without going below 20.

There is none. I laugh when I see people airing "down" to 22 PSI. Honestly I tried lots of PSI setting and anything above about 18 PSI (on an H2 at least) was a waste of time.
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Alec W » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:53 pm

PhilD wrote:I blame the spotter ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good call, except you raced up it so fast most of us were diving for cover ;) :lol:
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Rich » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:04 pm

Alec W wrote:
PhilD wrote:I blame the spotter ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good call, except you raced up it so fast most of us were diving for cover ;) :lol:

:yup: :yup: :yup: I remeber standing there BSing and all of a sudden Phil just shot by. :lol:

Like diving into super cold water. At some point they just clank and you go for it without warning. :lol:
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby PhilD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:12 pm

Alec W wrote:There is none. I laugh when I see people airing "down" to 22 PSI. Honestly I tried lots of PSI setting and anything above about 18 PSI (on an H2 at least) was a waste of time.
18 was what I used on the H2 also, albeit I'd have liked to have gone lower, but without beadlocks on a vehicle that heavy you are asking for trouble. I went down to 14 or 15 a couple of times and was expecting to pop a bead.

Every vehicle/tire/rim combo is different, but when I see people airing down to 25 psi, I have to wonder why.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Hummie2 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:56 pm

As a side note, the KM2's flex substantially more, and seem to have better sidewall grip, although the sidewalls are not as tough as the Iroks they replaced.

The only downside I could see was more flex = more cut sidewalls & rim dings. Out of 8 KMs, 6 were replaced due to cut
sidewalls (although, out of those 6 only 1 ever punctured the side wall and caused the tire to go flat). Good thing I bought the free replacement warranty certificates.

Phil, have you noticed the KM2s don't have rim protectors like the old KMs had?
Hummie2
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H2-H3

Postby PhilD » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:50 pm

The only downside I could see was more flex = more cut sidewalls & rim dings.
If you saw my rims you'd know why they doesn't bother me ;)

Out of 8 KMs, 6 were replaced due to cut sidewalls
The original KM was notorious for having weak sidewalls, they have supposedly improved this on the KM2, but I can already see that the sidewalls are going to be the tires weak point.

Phil, have you noticed the KM2s don't have rim protectors like the old KMs had?
Yes, I noticed that. I figured it was because the rim protectors on the KM's always ended up chewed up anyway.

You going to make it out to K-Rocks in May?
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Hummie2 » Fri Apr 11, 2008 6:15 pm

Yes, I noticed that. I figured it was because the rim protectors on the KM's always ended up chewed up anyway.

You going to make it out to K-Rocks in May?

We are going to do our best to be there. :)

Actually the rim protectors don't cover the bead of the rim and the sidewall flexs over when your off-camber. I have watched mine while I spotted P through the off-camber stuf. The edge of the rim moves way out past the lip on the tire. I was surprised it would move that far and not unseat the bead. :o
Hummie2
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H2-H3

Previous

Return to Trail Talk