H1 up escalator?

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Re: H1 up escalator?

Postby H1Slantback » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:31 am

Alec W wrote:
H1Slantback wrote:Have you had a H1? Like a Jeep but on steroids :) Nothing Else Compares! That being said I like all capable 4x4's 8)

No, never owned one. I've driven a couple of H1s on trails, but in this case I was comparing my Jeep experience to my H2, not an H1. Have you driven a lifted JK 4 door (longer wheelbase) on 37s with competition shocks in Moab?

My buddy has one. It's awesome offroad.
I've drivin just about everything. I'm a car whore, I love them all :yup:
I believe certain vehicles excell in area's other don't and those excell elsewhere. I like driving all of them :)
I have 5 H1's and they are all used for different things....
Expedition-01 Wagon
Trail-96 softtop
Desert Racing-91 softtop
Looking Cool-00 slantback
Going fast- 93 2dr :evil:
One of the reasons I like this club so much is because all wheeler's can come 8)
H1Slantback
Chapter VP - NorCal
Chapter VP - NorCal

Vehicle: H1 Hummer

Postby ronb » Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:58 am

it's amazing what a difference the tire will make on escalator. You'll need sidwalls that'll stick. We had several h1's there last year and it was pretty interesting seeing the different tires on the same obstacles/similar trucks. MTR's pretty much sucked everywhere. Coopers were almost as bad as the MTR's. PJ's did pretty well. The X-Terrains kicked butt. Wish I was able to have my truck there to compare the Iroks (checking out Pitbull Rockers now).

Here's a picture of Rick getting wedged -- he was doing great until the sidewalls gave up. He backed him up and he tried again, but the tires just wouldn't stick (his truck was bone stock and in the neighborhood of 9500 lbs).
moab2007_day1_233.jpg
moab2007_day1_233.jpg (188.77 KiB) Viewed 1074 times

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby Alec W » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:10 pm

ronb wrote:MTR's pretty much sucked everywhere.

That's weird because I've always had good luck with MT/Rs sticking on sidewalls (even on my H2). Maybe those extra 1000+ lbs the H1 has tip the balance?
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby Alec W » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:11 pm

H1Slantback wrote:One of the reasons I like this club so much is because all wheeler's can come 8)

X2 :yup:
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby ronb » Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:43 pm

Alec W wrote:
ronb wrote:MTR's pretty much sucked everywhere.

That's weird because I've always had good luck with MT/Rs sticking on sidewalls (even on my H2). Maybe those extra 1000+ lbs the H1 has tip the balance?

it was amazing to watch since I've always heard good things too. I'm sure the wt could have something to do with it, but seeing every truck with MTR's spin where the PJ's or especially the X-Terrains would walk right up changed my mind. I looked at that h1 in Moab video from a few years back (the one with the really annoying narration -- "God loves Hummers!" and other breathy bs) and there's a particular obstacle that Travis had alot of trouble on and Angry Iron's truck walked up with Iroks (and probably 1500 lbs less wt).

We need a sidewall stand-off -- I'm in the market for new shoes for my truck and need to know! I love the pitbull's (and recently found out from ssr1 that they come in a 16.5 rim size) but they are a bit too wide for my tastes at 16 inches. I am leaning toward the 39 iroks and going back to bias ply's.

rb
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Alec W » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:07 pm

Tiers are confusing aren’t they? I’ve seen MT/R stick where IROCs let go on the sidewall. I’d do some research on Pirate if I were you. A lot of those big buggies they are building up now are not any smaller than Hummers so the tire write-ups could be useful.

My MT/Rs are going to need replacing in about 10K miles so I’m in a similar quandary although I may just stick with MT/Rs since i've had good luck with them.
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Brock Samson » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:43 pm

After watching the many videos of H3's (and H3T) going up the Escalator, I don't think I'd want to take the H1 up. Sounds like a bunch of trouble. Likewise on the H2. It's a very comfortable, surprisingly able vehicle, but it's does feel like a giant, lumbering brick on the trails. I enjoyed the small time I spent in an H3, and would love to have one again sometime.
Bleh.
Brock Samson
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Rich » Wed Apr 09, 2008 2:09 pm

Aubs wrote: Likewise on the H2.

H2's with compotent (and sometimes lucky) drivers walk escalator without a problem all the time.
Blow off responsibilities, growing up, and all the boring things in life and do something cool.
Rich
Chapter President - NorCal
Chapter President - NorCal

Vehicle: 04 HMCS Adv.

Postby ronb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:21 am

a work out for the balljoints for sure.
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby PhilD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 8:51 am

Rich wrote:H2's with compotent (and sometimes lucky) drivers walk escalator without a problem all the time.
X2 without spotters too ;)

Like many obstacles, Escalator is all about line, if you get the right line it is easy, if you don't it's not so easy :lol:

PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Alec W » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:10 am

PhilD wrote:Like many obstacles, Escalator is all about line, if you get the right line it is easy, if you don't it's not so easy :lol:

You made it look easy with the H2, not so much luck with the Jeepee though ;) :lol:
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby PhilD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:51 am

Alec W wrote:You made it look easy with the H2, not so much luck with the Jeepee though ;) :lol:
I blame the spotter ;) :lol: :lol: :lol:

I had several instances when the sidewalls on those Iroks just did not grip at all, that was one of them...
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby ronb » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:44 am

what tires were on your h2?
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Postby Seth » Thu Apr 10, 2008 11:59 am

I am sure airing down to a low pressure would help get maximum rubber on the wall.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby PhilD » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:00 pm

ronb wrote:what tires were on your h2?
38x15.50x18 Toyo Open Country MT's
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

PreviousNext