Moab Questions

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Re: Moab Questions

Postby Alec W » Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:11 pm

The Other Rob wrote:Gold Bar Rim as well as Poison Spider are listed as seperate trails.. I have those as well.. Lord only knows if they're right or not though.. One way to find out though.. :evil:

Both are easy and fast trails. It will be interesting to see how the H3s do on GS on the spring trip. I think they know where to air down really low now. I’d love to see an H3 make the whole thing without a strap :yup: :yup:
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby NEOCON1 » Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:12 pm

F5 stays at the river canyon and likes it there are some nice mid range hotels , just avoid the Apache and the Lizard :lol: :lol: :lol:

like sewie mentioned we had rented houses in the past , if you go that route check out coyote run , they are our favorites and the style we are planning on building .
93 "HMC2 - Two-door, two passenger hardtop truck"
06 H3 with an Alpha front diff ....
Black sheep hummer squadron Moab
"now i need you to BTM like you have never FHUKIN BTM'd before"
NEOCON1
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:34 pm

I've spoke with the folks at Big Horn Lodge and they gave us a pretty good deal of $70 a night since we're looking at hitting about 12 rooms for 6 nights..

A lot of the folks are looking at trying to cheap it at the Lizard in the dorms.. How bad is it..?? Should I warn 'em or just laugh at 'em..??
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Alec W » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:52 pm

The Other Rob wrote:I've spoke with the folks at Big Horn Lodge and they gave us a pretty good deal of $70 a night since we're looking at hitting about 12 rooms for 6 nights..

A lot of the folks are looking at trying to cheap it at the Lizard in the dorms.. How bad is it..?? Should I warn 'em or just laugh at 'em..??

The Gonzo is 130-180 per night. Motel 6 is like 80, good luck on the lizard. You guys do own Hummers, right?
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby Alec W » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:56 pm

The Other Rob wrote:I've spoke with the folks at Big Horn Lodge and they gave us a pretty good deal of $70 a night since we're looking at hitting about 12 rooms for 6 nights..

PS. First time I went to Moab I camped and used the Lizard’s showers. It’s not that bad … OK… yeah It was bad... but I needed a shower. The shower needs tokens BTW :o :lol: 8) :P
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Postby oruna1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:12 am

I'm planning a trip to Moab and was considering Elephant Hill as one of the trails to do. I've read about it and have looked at some pics and I see there is a narrow section on the trail. Has anyone done this trail? Can my H3 fit? Any pics? From the pics I did find a Wrangler doesn't look like it has much spare room and we're wider than that. Other than that it looks like a fun trail to do.
oruna1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2009 H3 adventure

Postby Sewie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 pm

oruna1 wrote:Can my H3 fit? Any pics?

I haven't done it and I can't think of anyone I know that has. :duh: It doesn't look like its a very challenging trail and its more than an hour drive each way to get there.

But looking at the Red Rock 4Wheelers' site, they show a picture of a full-size Bronco on the trail. Worst case you have to turn around.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby alrock » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:17 pm

oruna1 wrote:I'm planning a trip to Moab and was considering Elephant Hill as one of the trails to do. I've read about it and have looked at some pics and I see there is a narrow section on the trail. Has anyone done this trail? Can my H3 fit? Any pics? From the pics I did find a Wrangler doesn't look like it has much spare room and we're wider than that. Other than that it looks like a fun trail to do.

What kind of trails are you looking to do? Maybe that's a way to start and we can give you some recommendations. Sightseeing trails, moderate challenges, tough challenges? One of each?
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby oruna1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:33 pm

I'll be in Moab for Aug 29th and 30th. The week before I'll be in Sedona, then Aug 31- Sept 5 I'll be in Breckenridge, CO. I really don't have much experience with my 2009 H3 (adventure pkg) as far as off road capabilities. I've ony taken it once to Rausch creek park in PA, although I did a couple of Black trails (3.5-4 rated?) and was really happy with the truck. I have a 93 Grand Cherokee that I wouldn't hesitate to take to almost anywhere (I know her limits, 35's long arm suspension, arb's front and rear , etc.). Whih such a short time to spend in Moab, I figured it would be fun to do a challenging trail on Sat. and something easy on Sunday (sightseeing is a must). I driving out from NY so I don't want to break stuff. My buddy is going to rent a Farabee Jeep (rubicon) for Sat so he and his wife and my wife and I can have 2 seperate cars for safety sake. I have add 35's, additional skid plates and a winch on my H3 . I have the Wells book for Moab and the Elephant hill trail looked good to me. I know Sedona well, as a matter of fact I've done all the Sedona trails with H3's I've rented over the years from Hertz. You really have to pay attention when you drive them since they have the tube steps and no lockers and small tires (I didn't want to damage anything).
Attachments
P1010088 small1.JPG
P1010088 small1.JPG (117.57 KiB) Viewed 627 times
oruna1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby The Other Rob » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:59 pm

Hells Revenge, Fins N Things and Poison Spider can all be handled easily by an H3 without much worries if you're running alone. Hell's will give you a lot of pucker, but if ya keep your cool, you can make it with no problem.

As for Breckenridge.. Wheeler Lake, and all of the trails around Montezuma are good choices.. We'll be in the Breckenridge area in about 2 more weeks.. Planning on trying Holy Cross, but I'll be running with several other folks just in case..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby oruna1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:10 pm

That sounds good. I figured to do Wheeler Lake too. Holy cross looks a littletoo much if your alone. How about a trip report and pics when you've do it. As far as Moab I'm not into big steep long inclines and declines that's why I thought Elephant Hill would be good.
oruna1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby alrock » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:33 pm

Moab - purely sightseeing I would look at Potash Road/ Shafer Switchback / Long Canyon. Great scenery along there with nominal technical factor.

7 Mile Rim is another trail you can do without the long ascents and descents yet still have the technical challenges.

If you want any wheeling company in Sedona shoot me a PM. Maybe a couple of us could make it from Phx.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby oruna1 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:36 pm

I tried to send a PM. Not sure if it worked.
oruna1
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby alrock » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:14 am

oruna1 wrote:I tried to send a PM. Not sure if it worked.

Got your PMs. Let's chat in August.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby SummitUp » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:05 am

I've never done Elephant Hill either, looks like a fun trail though. The trail is 15 miles long and is 75 miles from Moab. I'm thinking I'd like to devote a day to run this trail the next time we're in Moab.

Here's some links:
traildamage.com

4x4now.com

4x4wire.com
37" KM2's on 17" Hutchinson Beadlocks, Cognito UCA's, Cognito Sway Bar Links, Custom Hydro-Assist Steering Upgrade, Bilstein Shocks,
Warn 9.5ti Winch, Viking Synthetic Winch Cable, Piaa & Hella Off-road lights, Gobi Rack, Tru-Cool Transmission Oil Cooler, Eaton Front Locker, 4.56 Gears, Rubber Duck UCP Protection, Diablo Predator Hi-Octane Tune.
SummitUp
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2005 H2

PreviousNext

Return to Trail Talk