BLM closing Greenhorn :eek:

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

BLM closing Greenhorn :eek:

Postby HummBebe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:44 pm

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=630557

BLM says Greenhorn will be closed

Well, I’m not exactly sure how they will do that, and the cost is sure to be high.

A little background:

On 9/22 if you remember, some of the local PBB members organized a small, albeit effective clean up. (http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610062&page=3) At the clean up we discussed whether or not this area was worth saving. It was such a mess. We collectively agreed that was, and that a little education could go a long way.

When I got to the office on Monday morning I called the Folsom BLM office, and spoke with Mr. Jeff Horn, outdoor recreation officer. At first Mr. Horn was very surprised, excited and happy to hear about the clean up, the interest in additional cleanups, and the offer to put up signage at the camping areas. Then as if someone hit him over the head, his tone completely changed, and he then informed me about the FEIS (Final Environmental Impact Statement), that it has been completed, the comment periods were over and that the ROD (Record of Decision) would be signed very soon, and, that Greenhorn was going to be closed.

Alarmed, I contacted a few people and asked if they knew anything about it. Answer: No. I quickly looked up the FEIS on the BLM website, no references there to the closure of Greenhorn.

At that time I wrote this letter:

To : Bill Haigh <William_Haigh@blm.gov>
Cc : Jeff Horn <Jeff_Horn@ca.blm.gov Jeff_Horn@ca.blm.gov>; James Eicher <James_Eicher@ca.blm.gov

Dear Gentlemen,

I spoke with Mr. Horn earlier this week about the Greenhorn Creek area off Red Dog road in Nevada City, CA.

A group of us from Pirate 4X4 Bulletin Board decided to go out and do a clean up of the area. We spent the entire day there, in the rain, and filled two trailers and a pick-up truck with trash and debris.

Most of us are members of Friends of the Rubicon, Friends of Eldorado, Friends of Tahoe Access, and Cal4WD association, Blue Ribbon Coalition etc. One of the members participating in the clean-up effort was a private landowner off Buckeye Flat Rd.

I called the local office to inquire about our group wanting to put up some signing in several of the camping areas. (We do this on a regular basis for many of the groups listed above)

In my conversation with Mr. Horn, he mentioned that there has been a final EIS filed, and that the Greenhorn Creek area is slated to be closed. I have been reading this document for the past several days and have not found any references to the closure in the document and would like to ask if you could reference where in the document it states Greenhorn Creek is to be closed to OHV use. (Perhaps there is some other sort of common name that I am not aware of).

I also studied the "Response to Public Comments” section and found only one person that I recognized, the Honorable Jack Sweeney, El Dorado County Board of Supervisors.

I do not know Mr. Sweeny personally, but I am aware that he is involved in OHV use. I am amazed that OHV users groups in the area were not represented well, I am also shocked that we somehow missed this opportunity to comment.

If Greenhorn is not going to be closed as a result of the Final EIS, I would like to open a discussion on how the OHV community can be more proactive and involved in educating users in the Greenhorn area. We would like to install signs with reminders, Leave no trace, Pack out what you Pack in, use portable sanitation, and a map of the area etc.

Those of us who enjoy and respect the area, its history and beauty, would like to continue using iit. I feel like a little education could go a long way there.

Respectfully yours,
Jacquelyne Theisen

Essentially, after I fired off that e-mail, (6 weeks ago) I have heard nothing. I contacted him twice yesterday, and received no return phone call or e-mail.

So now it is time to bring it to the users. We need to organize, and let them know we want to keep this play area. But we have to be willing to work for it.

The majors players/decision makers I know of are, The BLM, Tahoe National Forest (very small area), Nevada County, Private Landowners, and Local users.

Some ideas for what needs to be done:

Signs at all 6 entrances, and the 3-4 major camping areas.

Pack it in - Pack it out, Leave No Trace – Use Portable Sanitation - Stay on the Trail – No Trespassing etc.

Well-drawn maps of the area from You Bet to Buckeye Flat Rd. (Aerials w/ road overlays would work best)

Regular clean ups

Community Outreach

Organized Events

We should also have regular meetings with all the above-mentioned authorities, preferably together at one time, preferably on site.

All of those who would like to help, even in the smallest way, let me know on this thread. We can schedule a meeting and get some more thoughts on how to save this great play area.

Thanks

Bebe
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Re: BLM closing Greenhorn :eek:

Postby HummBebe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:45 pm

I think this would be a great project for NorCal Hummer X Club, not only to help with the clean up, but in the future, to adopt the area as our own. 8)
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby H2 BULLY » Sat Nov 17, 2007 5:42 pm

How can I help? I think I might be able to go to the clean up on the 2nd, but what else?
Little Miss Alpha (someday)

you just got you butt kicked by daddy's little girl :)
H2 BULLY
Club Member
Club Member

Postby HummBebe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:49 pm

Come to the clean up and we will run the strategies by all involved. Mostly we will need more than a couple of clubs to adopt the area and run regular clean ups.

Thanks Nicole :D
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby The Other Rob » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:17 pm

I understand the need to fight for every square foot of open land in order to keep it that way.. How much land and trails are involved with Greenhorn..?? Is it enough to be worth seeing if your inside contacts with Hummer/GM would be interested in getting on board to support..?? I know they've provided a lot of support with the Rubicon, but would they be as interested in putting that level of support forward on a lesser known trail system..??

I understand that you can't go running to Hummer/GM on every trail closure issue that comes up, so it might be a better idea to hold onto any favors until they'll be a big payoff..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby HummBebe » Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:28 pm

There is enough local businesses in the area to support this. There are weekends you can go down there are see 100 people or more. It's a pretty big chunk of land 2000 acres +/-, but mostly it's just fun.

However, because all of the 3 major landowners there have ignored it for so long, it has become a place you don't want to hang around at night. No gang bangers, just some real lawlessness type stuff. They dump stolen cars, lots of target practice, kinda wild unless you are a local.
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby stjames151 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 5:00 pm

With regard to the signage, Is there a standardized format to be used? Material preference (Metal/Wood)? Do you prefer to use a single provider for all, or all of one type? Time line? Let me know. Depending on what you want, I might be able to contribute on that side.
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby HummBebe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:09 pm

stjames151 wrote:With regard to the signage, Is there a standardized format to be used? Material preference (Metal/Wood)? Do you prefer to use a single provider for all, or all of one type? Time line? Let me know. Depending on what you want, I might be able to contribute on that side.

THANKS!! If you can make it out on Dec. 2nd, I can put you in touch with some of the others who have volunteered for signs.

That would be a HUGE help!
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby stjames151 » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:42 pm

Don't know if I will be able to make it, but will if I can. Where is Greenhorn? I found where Red Dog intersects the creek on Google Earth. Is that the meeting point and trail? I will pm you.
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby HummBebe » Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:57 pm

We are meeting at Hwy 49/Combie Rd. (Auburn) on Sunday morning (December 2nd) at 8 AM.
Attachments
Clean up Flyer.JPG
(80.6 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby HummBebe » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:41 pm

The turn out was incredible.

To every one of the Volunteers who attended todays Clean-Up:

THANK YOU FOR CARING ABOUT GREENHORN!!!

I am so over whelmed by the people that turned out for the 9AM start, but add to that, they just kept coming, signing in and working. We had 112 folks turn out for this event. Un-freaking-believable!!!

I have so many to thank for the support that made this event successful:

Dennis Mayer, RTF and FOTR: Truly, you have been my Mentor since I arrived in the OHV world. I can't thank you enough for your love and support!

Don Spuhler, CA4WDAC: Thank you for putting the energy into Greenhorn it deserves. Cal4's involvement will be critical to our success in keeping it open.

To the Greenhorn IC Chiefs:

Rick Krause, Rick White, Martin Ward, Erik Bibelheimer, Dana (Cobra5.0Jeep) and Will Corbett, you all make great wing-men, thank you for doing such an incredible job today.

To the Team Leaders:

Erik, Brian, Don, Dennis, Rick, Derek, Aero and Ken, OUTSTANDING PRODUCTIVITY from all your crews. It just could not have been more effective, and we have you to thank! We easily hauled out over 25 cubic yards of trash, metal, scrap iron, two loads of tires (1 car hauler and 1 dump truck), and 3 vehicles.

Thank you to Les Schwab, who took all the tires for no charge... Auburn Placer Disposal who donated 11 passes to their dump for those who would haul to Auburn, and to CALTRANS for providing 150 enormous trash bags.

The most important factor in the success of this clean-up were the local users, many of them still in their teens!!! What an incredible group you are! You should all be proud of yourselves ! What a way to step up and become a part of something so important to your community!!!

We will be doing this again, and we will be asking for your help

Maintaining Greenhorn so that it can stay open to all is our goal.

Thank you all for helping us to achieve it!

Bebe

Some clean up pics here:http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=631000&page=7

THANK YOU H2 and H3 Bully!!! I can't wait to see the footage and pics....please post up soon!!!

Tim and Nicole videoed the entire clean-up, thanks you guys for helping to provide the kind of press we need :D :D :D :D :D
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby HummBebe » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:45 pm

And here is the press release, please feel free to post this around to other boards....

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jacquelyne Theisen
theisen@starstream.net

Friends of Greenhorn
friends-of-greenhorn@googlegroups.com
http://groups.google.com/group/friends-of-greenhorn

100+ Local OHV’ers volunteer at Greenhorn

(Nevada City, CA, December 2, 2007)Locals respond in record numbers in an attempt to keep Greenhorn Creek area open for OHV use.

Friends of Greenhorn notified the local residents of Nevada County that the Greenhorn Creek area is at risk for closure to off highway vehicles (OHV’s) by both the Bureau of Land Management, and the Tahoe National Forest.

In response, over 100 concerned and caring volunteers gathered at Greenhorn Creek to haul out a vast amount of debris left by the less caring, including tires, automobile parts, scrap metal, abandoned vehicles, household garbage, construction debris, sofas, TV’s, computers, and several bags of shotgun shells and bullet casings. Local businesses participated as well; Les Schwab Tire received all the dumped tires at no charge, Auburn Placer Disposal donated 22 cubic yards worth of free space, and Cal Trans donated over 150 55- gallon trash bags.

An estimated 30 – 40 cubic yards of trash and debris were removed from the Greenhorn Creek area, from the Red Dog Rd. crossing, well into the Tahoe National Forest area north and east of Buckeye Rd., near Chalk Bluff, and as far south as Lowell Hill.

OHV enthusiasts who frequent the Greenhorn Creek area are upset by the BLM and Tahoe National Forest Route Designation and Travel Management Plans, which could close the area as early as Spring of 2008.

This sweeping volunteer response clearly shows the Bureau of Land Management and the Tahoe National Forest that the OHV community cares, wants to keep the area, and will spend the volunteer time and energy to maintain it.

A master plan for the area is in progress, and will include designating a trail system, designating camping areas, signing for private property owners, signing for the trail areas, and reminders to “Leave no trace”, “Pack it in. Pack it out” and “No Dumping”.

Private property owners in attendance, were encouraged and enthusiastic, and expressly commented that they had purchased property in the surrounding area because they spent a great deal of family time at the creek, and that closing the area would be a local tragedy.

Friends of Greenhorn are committed to a working relationship with Land Management agencies and to addressing the concerns of private property owners in the area. “We need to make it work, for everyone” said Jacquelyne Theisen, member of Friends of Greenhorn.

For information friends-of-greenhorn@googlegroups.com or contact
http://groups.google.com/group/friends-of-greenhorn

###
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Mon Dec 03, 2007 10:12 pm

Very cool, great work 8)
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout