Winching 101 and a half.

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Winching 101 and a half.

Postby Rod » Fri May 12, 2006 9:23 pm

Now that I've used my winch a whopping two times, questions:

Warn's how-to guide suggests the driver/winch operator be inside the vehicle, protected from a backlash if the line breaks. Seems like a good idea.

Problem is, when I was in the truck and dragging whatshisname out of the mud, the wire was not spooling in neatly. It would turn a few times then the wire would slide of itself and make a frightening ker-thump sound as it landed on solid wire.

Is that just part of the game? And after the fact one should pull the line out and re-spool properly?

Same go for syn line? Seems to me if you don't control the way the line lays as it's coming in you risk the line piling up and chewing itself ragged on the winch housing and muli-mount.
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: '99 HMC4 | '05 SUT

Re: Winching 101 and a half.

Postby PhilD » Fri May 12, 2006 10:17 pm

[quote=\"Rod\"]Warn's how-to guide suggests the driver/winch operator be inside the vehicle, protected from a backlash if the line breaks. Seems like a good idea.[/quote]We often have someone outside the vehicle controlling the winch, driver just sits inside with foot on brake, vehicle in Neutral, never in Park. I don't work around steel cable if I can help it.

Problem is, when I was in the truck and dragging whatshisname out of the mud, the wire was not spooling in neatly. It would turn a few times then the wire would slide of itself and make a frightening ker-thump sound as it landed on solid wire.
That's why you always need to tension your cable on, but that kind of thing will happen. You can also get too much spooled at one end, we've had to stop before, sppol some back out, and then re-spool it properly before continuing.

Is that just part of the game? And after the fact one should pull the line out and re-spool properly?
I usually wait until I get home, unless it is real bad, then pull it all out and re-spool it.

BTW Always wear gloves, even with synthetic, you can mess your hands up if you don't. I have a small tool bag, with winch controller, tree strap, a couple of shackles, a couple of snatch blocks, and a couple pairs of gloves. That way, my winch stuff is always easy to get to and all together.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Re: Winching 101 and a half.

Postby PhilD » Fri May 12, 2006 10:22 pm

[quote=\"Rod\"]Same go for syn line? Seems to me if you don't control the way the line lays as it's coming in you risk the line piling up and chewing itself ragged on the winch housing and muli-mount.[/quote]That's why it is often best to have someone outside the vehicle control the winch, they can see what is going on with the winch/cable much better.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rod » Fri May 12, 2006 10:32 pm

Good stuff, Phil. Thanks. Stopping from time to time to check the line for stacking on one end of the drum makes sense. Guess it really wouldn't matter to most recoveries if you took a minute to let the line out and spool it back in properly.

You carry more than one snatch block? Ever had a reason to use more than one? What's your trigger for deciding to deploy the first? That happen before you begin winching or during the recovery?
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Postby PhilD » Fri May 12, 2006 10:42 pm

[quote=\"Rod\"]You carry more than one snatch block? Ever had a reason to use more than one? What's your trigger for deciding to deploy the first? That happen before you begin winching or during the recovery?[/quote]Rarely use one, let alone two, but you never know. We usually just connect up another winch if we having problems with one, and use two. But failing that, a snatch block would be the next thing to come out.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Rod » Fri May 12, 2006 10:51 pm

Guess I'd better dig that snatch block out of the cooler it's in in the truck bed. I forgot I had one and it would be way inconvenient to get to with all the recovery and family gear packed on top and around it!

Thanks for all the tips. :)
Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bondage » Sat May 13, 2006 12:00 am

You planning on getting more use out of that winch? Not with me, buster. As they say in Israel, Never Again. :lol:
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby ronb » Sat May 13, 2006 10:57 pm

if you're never getting stuck, you're doing something wrong.

Ron B
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby RedRubi » Sun May 14, 2006 8:21 am

^yup...

You 'aint been offroad 'til you been stuck.

Everytime I get stuck I learn more about my rigs capabilities and how I drove it wrong.
Hi, my name is David.
I drive a red 2005 Jeep Rubicon.
You're jelous as hell, I can feel it.

;)
RedRubi
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Jeep LJ Rubicon

Postby PhilD » Sun May 14, 2006 8:21 am

[quote=\"ronb\"]if you're never getting stuck, you're doing something wrong.[/quote] :lol: :lol: :lol: Very true
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Bondage » Sun May 14, 2006 9:07 am

Oh okay, fine. :lol: Let's go, Rod. I'll give you another chance to put these new techniques to good use. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it's funny how one wheels a bit differently when there is no one along with a winch............. ;)
Bond. James Bond.
Bondage
Trail Master
Trail Master

Location: SoCal, Rome, Paris, London, Athens, Cairo, Madrid, Caracas, Beruit, Berlin, Moscow & Kingston
Vehicle: BLACK H2

Postby PhilD » Sun May 14, 2006 10:01 am

[quote=\"Bondage\"]Seriously, it's funny how one wheels a bit differently when there is no one along with a winch............. ;)[/quote]True. I very quickly discovered in the loose sand down here that you need a winch and Pull-Pal when by yourself. Either that or some understanding friends that will come and get you...
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Postby edspad » Mon May 15, 2006 11:09 am

[quote=\"Bondage\"]Oh okay, fine. :lol: Let's go, Rod. I'll give you another chance to put these new techniques to good use. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, it's funny how one wheels a bit differently when there is no one along with a winch............. ;)[/quote]
I was thinking the same thing last week when i went to the top of MT POTOSI last friday. first and last time i volunteer use my rig for work. :|
edspad
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H3

Postby Rod » Mon May 15, 2006 9:10 pm

[quote=\"edspad\"]I was thinking the same thing last week when i went to the top of MT POTOSI last friday.[/quote]

I can't imagine where you could possibly get stuck on Mt. Potosi but it's pretty easy to see where you could slip and roll a thousand feet down the hill. Whatever winch you get at that point better be attached to a Chinook helicopter. :o

Rod
Club Member
Club Member

Postby edspad » Mon May 15, 2006 9:59 pm

[quote=\"Rod\"][quote=\"edspad\"]I was thinking the same thing last week when i went to the top of MT POTOSI last friday.[/quote]

I can't imagine where you could possibly get stuck on Mt. Potosi but it's pretty easy to see where you could slip and roll a thousand feet down the hill. Whatever winch you get at that point better be attached to a Chinook helicopter. :o

Image[/quote]
I was on a road that was washed out to the right of me and the new road was graded and pushed about 3 1/2 in front of me. Can’t go back only forward. It dawned on me there was no one to winch me back up the road if I rolled backwards and dropped about two hundred feet. All this is going on my mind as my right rear lost traction and my truck is now high centered on the berm. It felt as if I was sliding backwards. That might have been in my mind? Never the less I got traction with my fronts and pulled myself onto the road. I was given incorrect information and got onto a road that was closed( should have had warning sign) and of course I don’t quit until the hair stands up on my neck.. :o :) :)
The road to upper MT POTOSI is closed to the public and is a pretty good climb. low 2nd & 3rd pretty much the whole way. The view was awesome from the top.
edspad
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H3

Next

Return to Trail Talk