Permanent Closure for Tellico

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Permanent Closure for Tellico

Postby Mark » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:51 pm

It was announced today that the closure of the Upper Tellico OHV trail system is permanent :x :x :x :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

http://www.cs.unca.edu/nfsnc/press/tellico_decision_news_release.pdf
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Re: Permanent Closure for Tellico

Postby stjames151 » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Sadly, I'm not surprised. It's dumb and pathetic.
I finally know my calling in life! I'm an a asshole!
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: El Peo Chiquito

Postby Gone Toyota » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Does anyone have any ideas on how to keep Tellico open. I have send emails to Congressman and Senators. I know my congressman and I know for a fact that he likes four wheeling and has been Tellico more than I have. :wall:
Gone Toyota
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 08 Tundra

Postby stjames151 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:33 pm

It's done. Outside of an expensive legal battle with an uncertain outcome, there is little chance of changing the decision once it has been posted.
I feel sorry for all the soldiers and intelligence officers who over the last century have worked hard to defeat communism, only to have it elected by "choice".
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:48 pm

stjames151 wrote:It's done. Outside of an expensive legal battle with an uncertain outcome, there is little chance of changing the decision once it has been posted.

Unfortunately true and apart from maybe BRC I don't know of anybody that will consider taking it on :cry:
Mark

Postby Sewie » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:49 pm

It is obvious from the USFS release that the decision was made long ago and the public comment process was merely a political formality. But while the outcome for Tellico is bleak at best, it's never over til one side gives up. :no:

There is an appeals process and SFWDA, UFWDA and BRC are still working the issue.

http://www.sfwda.org/trails/tellico/donate.html

http://www.sharetrails.org/releases/media/?story=659
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby stjames151 » Fri Oct 16, 2009 2:27 am

Sorry. I didn't mean to make it sound like there's no chance at all. BRC does PHENOMENAL work and deserves all the support we can muster. Sadly, this kind of result is all too common. I'm finding that these closures have very little to do with what constituencies want, and our "representative" government is becoming more blatant about not voting in a way that reflects the feelings and beliefs of the people that the governing body represent. Here's an excellent example. Sen. Boxer states on the record that 85,000 calls say "No" to stimulus, and only 6,000 say "Yes", but the people she represent :clearly don't understand the issues". It's time to vote with our feet. If our "representative" government doesn't represent us, we need to check our feelings, how our govt. registers our "official" votes, and their egos. They don't listen...we don't keep them. When they think they know better to the point of defiance means they're not reps...they think they're a "ruling class."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4ixxFhvY2k
stjames151
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mark » Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:07 am

stjames151 wrote:BRC does PHENOMENAL work and deserves all the support we can muster.

EXACTLY! They are out there working for us and we should all do everything we can to help them in their efforts. If you have not please read this thread and click the link or click on their banner on the forum. Every little bit helps them fight the good fight for all of us.
Mark

Postby Sewie » Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:20 pm

BTW. BRC and BFG have teamed up. For every Mud Terrain TA KM2 purchased, BFG will donate $5 to BRC. So you get awesome tires and help fight closures. 8) BFG also supports the Outstanding Trails Program which donates money to help maintain trails.
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Return to Trail Talk