Trail Info Rattlesnake Canyon Lucerne Valley

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

Trail Info Rattlesnake Canyon Lucerne Valley

Postby Chash3 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:50 pm

Trail Info Rattlesnake Canyon Lucerne Valley;

"The sole remaining cattle rancher in Lucerne Valley operates a 29,000 acre ranch. ALL of Rattlesnake Canyon is within this ranch. The ranchers, Billy & Julie Mitchell, are generally pro-OHV, and have worked with BLM and Wilderness folks to keep the Canyon open. However, Mr. Mitchell has recently had to put down two cattle and one horse due to injuries created by OHV users going too fast through the canyon, and on the north end nearer his house.

The rancher has asked that those of us who enjoy and appreciate the Canyon put out the word to all the internet forums and groups of OHV folks to tell them Rattlesnake Canyon will be shut down if his livelihood is jeopardized (his cattle).

Please do your part to educate others to slow down. Keep the dust and noise to a absolute minimum, give livestock the right of way, and don't scare them off the trail.

Feel free to copy this message to any other online forums you participate in. We have the opportunity to keep this fun trail open, preserving a corridor between the mountains and desert, but we must act responsibly and educate others who may not be as sensitive to the issues at hand.

Tread Lightly!

As an FYI: At least one OHV group, "MyJeepRocks" is actively working with the rancher and helping to create a signage program within the canyon to advise others of the Rules of the Road. If you want to contribute, stay tuned to "www.rattlesnakecanyontrail. com" which is in the process of being set up."
Chash3
Honorary Club Member
Honorary Club Member

Re: Trail Info Rattlesnake Canyon Lucerne Valley

Postby Seth » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:20 am

Thanks for the information. I know I enjoy Rattlesnake Canyon. I hope that people understand the importance of respecting other people's property.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Re: Trail Info Rattlesnake Canyon Lucerne Valley

Postby jeep7081 » Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:56 pm

There is an update to that topic. I guess he leases the land and part of that lease is he has to keep it open. He can't close what isn't his. With that said, I think most of the problems have been with quads and dirt bikes. So, maybe get the word out to them as well. :)
1993 Jeep wrangler/4" RC lift/2" PA body lift/Borla exhaust/4:10/33" Maxxis/k&n cold air
jeep7081
New User
New User

Vehicle: Jeep YJ

Return to Trail Talk