AZ Trails // Microsoft streets and maps w/gps

Land Use, Trail Info, etc

AZ Trails // Microsoft streets and maps w/gps

Postby 72cb750cafe » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:07 pm

So I use Microsoft streets and trips on a laptop and it came with a gps sensor that is usb. I've tried to run this whenever I go out wheeling and I've accumulated some maps.. Thought I'd share .. If you use the same software and would like the file I keep all these in let me know and I'll email it to you (its quite small)

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=microsoft+streets+and+trips&oe=UTF-8&cid=2019162252842096222&sa=title#p

Here is what the program looks like running. These are the routes we took on the recent Sedona adventure.

Here is Mesa Table road and the points I've mapped out for back-way to crown king. For this I used wells guide to off road driving. http://www.4x4books.com/ab.htm

This is the most common place I go , Saguaro lake (closest to my house in Gilbert) There is a lot of fun to be had out here .. Good safe easy wheeling , Lake , good scenery blah blah blah...

Here is a shot of the Coke Ovens trail by way of Box Canyon. This is great once some good rain sets in. The last time I went there was a good 4 inches of water running in Box Canyon ... ... I don't know why but it makes it SO much more fun... Good camping as well when its not so hot.

Here's an overshot of the trails here in the valley I've done. I hope to expand this more .. SOON. .. I keep all the wheeling in the same mapped file. Sedona is on this file as well but it's not shown in this screen shot..

I'm always up for some wheeling around the valley night or day :D let me know I'm game.
72cb750cafe
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Re: AZ Trails // Microsoft streets and maps w/gps

Postby alrock » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:55 pm

Nice tracking there Phil. Glad to see you out and about wheeling. We'll be doing more soon and I'm (almost) always up for a quick run over to Saguaro Lake. It's easy for me to get there too.

The only downfall I see - does the Microsoft product do topo maps? As you do more exploring you may want to consider products like Delorme to get topo maps on the laptop if Microsoft doesn't cover that.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Postby 72cb750cafe » Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:52 am

it has "terrain maps.. "

Microsoft Site.
"Terrain map shows the shape and elevation of an area; these are great maps for outdoor enthusiasts or vacationers"

My biggest complaint on the software is that it isn't mac compatible. I had a windows laptop when I purchased it, that laptop has since stopped working. We now have a 24" Imac and a macbook .. So when I go out if I want to map stuff I have to either borrow one of my dad's laptops or snag my roommates virus infected dell : P ..

I need to snag a copy of Vista and just boot camp our macbook...

/lazy

let me know if you want to go goof around on Saguaro some time, I don't know what your work schedule is like but I'm always up for it.
72cb750cafe
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby alrock » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:55 am

I work M-F until 5, always off on weekends.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Return to Trail Talk