2006 h3 running hot

General Discussion

2006 h3 running hot

Postby Kevinkyle1989 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:37 pm

Hello, I just bought a cherry red h3 with the luxury package and it continues to run hot. I've had the thermostat replaced, radiator flushed and new fan clutch put on. The needle hangs out in between the half way mark and the 3/4 mark. The truck runs great, but it would give me a better piece of mind if the needle would at least stay at the halfway mark. My water pump is brand new and my radiator is is good condition (no leaks etc). Please help me figure out what the issue could be. Also my truck has 102k on it, which isn't bad, but I'm wondering if that could have something to do with it.
Kevinkyle1989
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3 luxury

Re: 2006 h3 running hot

Postby Mark » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:25 am

Do you have access to a scan gauge or some way to get the actually readings to make sure the gauge is correct. You can get an OBDII reader that is Wifi or Bluetooth and using an app on your phone connect to it to get actual temps readings. I use DashCommand on my iOS devices and there are a number for iOS or Android. Keep in mind if you have an iOS device the cheap bluetooth readers will not work with them.

If the gauge is correct something else you might want to try is changing out the transmission fluid. Back when I had my '06 I got the engine and trans very hot with multiple attempts at a hill climb. After than it ran hotter. It's been 10 years but if I recall correctly it started running in the range your's is. Changed out the fluid and filter on the transmission and the temp gauge needle went back down to the middle. The transmission cooler is within the radiator so if your transmission is running hot some of that heat will transfer over to your coolant.

Let us know if that helps.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby bunger » Wed Sep 21, 2016 1:36 pm

The temp gauge in the dash is just an idiot light with a needle, it is not a precision device.
My gauge showed between 1/2 and 3/4 like yours for 5 years with no issues. I put in a new radiator and it dropped to just above 1/2.

Do like Mark suggests and get an actual temperature reading thru the OBDII port.
bunger
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Kevinkyle1989 » Tue Sep 27, 2016 11:42 am

Thanks guys. I'll let you know.
Kevinkyle1989
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H3 luxury

Postby LarryM » Sat Nov 19, 2016 7:34 pm

My 06 does the same thing-between half and three quarter gauge all the time.I have heard that ther is a problem with gauge calibration on at least some h3s but mine seems like it really runs a little warmer than it should.
LarryM
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2006 hummer h3

Postby Mark » Sun Nov 20, 2016 12:19 am

Best way to check is with an OBDII reader so you can get the actual temps. As you said the gauge could be off some. Both my '06 and my '09 Alpha ran/run right at mid way on the gauge. The '06 ran hotter for a while after I got it real hot one time wheeling. Ran at about 5/8s on the gauge until I changed the transmission fluid then it came bad down to the half way mark.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Return to General