What do you use for cargo management?

General Discussion

Postby MrRoadWarrior » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:02 am

In the next week or so, I will be getting the Gobi Stealth installed on the H3 and was wondering what different methods folks use for cargo management. Specifically, I am looking for tips and tricks for lashing down gear, storage boxes.

Right now I am using three Plano sportsman's boxes that I've Fusioned black to match the H3. These are sufficient to handles basic emergency supplies, but they're not the easiest to mount and I'm expecting I'll want to change the setup once the rack is on.

What do you guys use?
MrRoadWarrior
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: '06 H3, Black on Black

Re: What do you use for cargo management?

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:52 pm

I have a Hurricane case mounted at the back of my Gobi. Did a lot of shopping around to find what seemed to fit the best giving me the most space without going taller. It covers from side to side completely and most of the space between the back of the rack and the first cross bar. It came with wheels on one which had to be removed so that it would fit length wise across the rack and also had to trim where the wheels mounted just slightly. This did not affect the function and I can add the wheels back on it if I remove it from from the truck and want to add them back on. Once it was trimmed to fit I drilled a hole near each corner that lined up with the openings in the grate flooring of the rack. Used DIY rubber gasket material you can get at Lowes or Home Depot to create a gaskets for the outside and inside for each bolt. The gaskets were sandwiched between the case and large carriage bolt washers and bolted to the rack. I didn't intend to leave it on the rack all the time but it has been up there since spring 2009 and I have yet to ever find any signed that water has gotten in. I use it to carry tools and spare parts.

I can get some better pics if that would help but gives you the idea.

DSC03013.JPG
DSC03013.JPG (201.9 KiB) Viewed 3245 times

MOAB%20092.jpg
MOAB%20092.jpg (105.33 KiB) Viewed 3245 times
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby frumaker » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:56 pm

Any idea the details of the box and/or where u got it?
frumaker
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: HUMMER H3

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 16, 2012 6:10 pm

Don't recall where I got it but it's a Storm Case iM3220, not Hurricane Case like I thought. Quick search showed a number of listings for them including Amazon. I think I ended up getting it from either a online gun or photo supply dealer and if memory serves me prices have come down a bit. The link below has it for $215 without foam which you won't want anyway.

http://www.pelicancase-midwest.com/acatalog/IM3220.html
Mark

Postby MrRoadWarrior » Fri Nov 16, 2012 9:50 pm

That looks great...exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for. The Plano's I have look ok, but I am worried about height and long term durability/waterproofness. Last thing I need bailing out before a hurricane is water-soaked cargo. I'll have to check the size, but pelican makes some very solid stuff - I have several of their gun and electronics cases.
MrRoadWarrior
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Bellvis » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:55 am

I used some Military grade SKB Cases and bolted them down to my Gobi rack. Loved them and the cases survived several trips through the CA-NV deserts.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby MrRoadWarrior » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:36 am

Looked through that Pelican site. Right now I'm looking at the Pelican 1780HL ...looks pretty nice, but I'm guessing the quote will come from Pelican at about $1000 a pop..... you can get the boxes configured specifically to your needs.

Bellvis, where did you get the SKB boxes?
MrRoadWarrior
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Mark » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:07 am

Part of my problem finding the case I wanted was that I didn't want one that tall. Most everything that was large enough to fill the back section of the rack was too tall for my liking. Keep in mind with that case unless you have it setup so that some of the contents are secured into the lid the upper portion of the case might be wasted. Looks like a damn nice case though.
Mark

Postby The Other Rob » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:26 pm

If ya don't need weather proof.. 81mm Motar Case..

I think I gave about $25 shipped for the one I've got..

Not always in stock..
http://store.colemans.com/cart/ammo-can ... p-225.html

Google is your friend.. Just look and see what's out there..

--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby MrRoadWarrior » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:35 am

Mark wrote:Part of my problem finding the case I wanted was that I didn't want one that tall. Most everything that was large enough to fill the back section of the rack was too tall for my liking. Keep in mind with that case unless you have it setup so that some of the contents are secured into the lid the upper portion of the case might be wasted. Looks like a damn nice case though.

Yeah, agree Mark...but I'm not looking for permament attachment, so height is ok as it will only be on for treks. With the customizations I'm considering, the stuff that would fit into the lid would be held there with customized foam.... Not sure yet on the final solution. Those mil boxes look interesting, but a little small for my application.
MrRoadWarrior
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Mark » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:41 pm

MrRoadWarrior wrote:...but I'm not looking for permament attachment, so height is ok as it will only be on for treks.

That was my plan initially as well but 3 1/2 years later it's still up there full time :lol: :lol:
Mark

Postby The Other Rob » Wed Nov 21, 2012 10:13 pm

MrRoadWarrior wrote: Those mil boxes look interesting, but a little small for my application.

There's this one that holds a bit more.. :lol: :lol:

http://store.colemans.com/cart/us-gi-al ... p-217.html
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby MrRoadWarrior » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:21 pm

Well, you can't say I'm not flexible....I'd consider this, but I called Coleman's and the container itself weighs 110 pounds. That's a bit much without gear.

Looks like I'll do the Plano boxes for now until I am settled down in Houston, then fab something up for my needs. I am still waiting for Pelican's nearest vendor to provide a quote but so far no joy....maybe bag that option due to cost anyhow.

Oh well, I was gonna buy a new welder anyhow.... :wall:
MrRoadWarrior
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Hunner » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:10 pm

If your not wanting a permanent solution so you don't carry the extra weight all the time you might want to check into some of the newer style bags. I only use this on trips when I know I will be in sight of the vehicle or only away from it for short periods of time. I did secure it with some cross locking cables when staying in route in motels.
Somehow I was hoping a guy on the roof of an H3 with bolt cutters would attract attention and a 911 call? lol
The bag I chose had the flap over the closure and was water resistant and proved to be so by not leaking during several rain storms and driving 70 mph.
I try to place the lighter weight bulky stuff up there and segregate it with other water resistant bags placed inside. The rest I place down low inside.
more on that here
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=6352&hilit=+weigh+up
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Return to General