Pulled over by Cops

General Discussion

Pulled over by Cops

Postby Badboy617 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:42 pm

Hey guys,

On the weekend, I got pulled over for not having rear mud flaps, then he looked at my registration which was 4 days over due so I got slapped with a $704 FINE!!!
Just want to know if H3's come with rear mud flaps as a standard?
Badboy617
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Re: Pulled over by Cops

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:06 pm

It was an option but no, not standard equipment. Really sucks about the fine.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Badboy617 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:47 pm

is there a way, i can find out what's standard and what's not on the car for Australian spec H3's. I just rang the cop station letting them know that it doesn't come standard and F'n pig on the other line (sorry pissed off right now) said "if the police officer who pulled you over told you to put it on, you have to put it on". what kind of crap is that to say???
Badboy617
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Mark » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:45 pm

Now I didn't think about you being in Australia. They might have been standard equipment and required there but not here in the states. Do you know who was the closest dealer to you and if they are still in business even though they no longer carry the Hummer brand? That would probably be the best place I can think of to get the answer.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby JustinOK » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:47 pm

Sounds to me like you need to figure out at what point a vehicle is required to have mud flaps installed per your country/state/province/territory regulations. You can huff and puff all you want at the fuzz but its not going to do you any good if you're telling them "it wasn't a standard item".

Find the rule/law whatever and find out if it applies to your vehicle or not.

For reference, here's what the law says for Oklahoma:
All vehicles or combination of vehicles operating on the highways, except animal-drawn vehicles, not equipped with fenders over the rearmost wheels shall have attached thereto a rubber or fabric apron directly behind the rearmost wheels, and hanging perpendicular from the body of the vehicle. The apron shall be of such a size as to prevent the bulk of the water or any other substance picked up from the roadway from being thrown from the rear wheels of the vehicle or combination of vehicles at tangents exceeding twenty-two and one half (22 1/2) degrees measured from the road surface. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a farm tractor moving over the state highway system at a speed less than twenty (20) miles per hour.

It might have been the previous law, but I thought I read something about requirements for fenders and how much of the tire can be exposed, and also a height requirement in relation to the bumper (if the bumper covers half or more of rear axle) but I can't seem to find that anymore.

But that's the type of information you need to seek out. I do know H1s are required to have mudflaps in Australia, even though it was not a standard factory item.
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby Badboy617 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:16 pm

JustinOK wrote:Sounds to me like you need to figure out at what point a vehicle is required to have mud flaps installed per your country/state/province/territory regulations. You can huff and puff all you want at the fuzz but its not going to do you any good if you're telling them "it wasn't a standard item".

Find the rule/law whatever and find out if it applies to your vehicle or not.

For reference, here's what the law says for Oklahoma:
All vehicles or combination of vehicles operating on the highways, except animal-drawn vehicles, not equipped with fenders over the rearmost wheels shall have attached thereto a rubber or fabric apron directly behind the rearmost wheels, and hanging perpendicular from the body of the vehicle. The apron shall be of such a size as to prevent the bulk of the water or any other substance picked up from the roadway from being thrown from the rear wheels of the vehicle or combination of vehicles at tangents exceeding twenty-two and one half (22 1/2) degrees measured from the road surface. The provisions of this subsection shall not apply to a farm tractor moving over the state highway system at a speed less than twenty (20) miles per hour.

It might have been the previous law, but I thought I read something about requirements for fenders and how much of the tire can be exposed, and also a height requirement in relation to the bumper (if the bumper covers half or more of rear axle) but I can't seem to find that anymore.

But that's the type of information you need to seek out. I do know H1s are required to have mudflaps in Australia, even though it was not a standard factory item.

Cheers! Will look into it!
Badboy617
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Bellvis » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:03 pm

I'm in California and my H3 never had flaps. It would have been one of the first things I removed right after the side steps!
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby Hunner » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:41 pm

If you had a sig line that you were from Australia some of us that did not know you were, may have responded differently.
Nugget also from Australia was stopped for not having flares covering the tires. I remember him saying they were required over there but when he added a Rancho lift and space out his wheel the flares no longer covered the tires. I can't remember if the flaps were also an issue. I will ask him about that. Perhaps you will have to contact other authorities besides the local police on the specifics in your area.
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby The Other Rob » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:23 pm

He also had a problem running tires that were more than 10% larger than OEM.. I think he was running 37's at the time which would have been 12.1% over..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Hunner » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 am

The Other Rob wrote:He also had a problem running tires that were more than 10% larger than OEM.. I think he was running 37's at the time which would have been 12.1% over..

Nope! 35's my mind is not completely gone and search helps me to confirm that.

Anyone converted a Rancho 4" to a 2"?
by nugget ยป Sun Oct 10, 2010 4:47 am

Am currently away on a trip and had an unfortunate meeting with a country cop who has a personal crusade against city boys with bigs tyres.

Gave me a defect notice the lift....I can not conplain as it is 4" and the law in my state is 2"'..... and my 35's are 7/16" (10mm) too big! I couldn't argue how big 10mm was becasue I figured he knew that pretty well as it would the size of his d!ck

Anyway I have to get it over the pits with a 2" lift or get an engineers certificate for a 4" which I believe is extremely hard to do....basucally someone has to certify that the lift does not change roll over etc. Last time I asked in Aussie, RAncho don't even supply such material in the USA.

MY next option is to convert the 4" to a 2"...haven't had a chance to get under it and work my way through the possibilty but wondered if anyone else had gone that route.

He also pinged me for the mudflaps not totally covering the width of the tyres. I didn't think it was the best time to point out that neither did his!!!! Funny thing was, 300kms away in another town, the local copper was at the servo I stopped to gas up at and came over. I am thinking...here we go again but he asked if I was the guy who wrote the articles in the magazine and would I mind if he took some pics of my car!!!
H3 Adventure. Vortec Supercharger, Custom exhaust, 4" Rancho lift with extended shackles & military wrap heavy duty rear suspension,HD Sway-A-Way torsion bars,35" MTZ's,Rock Sliders, UHF radio, Cargo Barrier,UHF ariel custom side mounted, Pioneer AVIC Nav, draw system, dual battery, 500w inverter, custom roof rack with 4 IPF 800's, custom ARB bullbar, Mile Marker V-Winch 10,000lb, snorkel with custom airbox and K & N filter, TD low profile shock plates, ARB front Air Locker

nugget
Club Member

Vehicle: 07 H3 Adventure
08H3ALPHA,WarnPowerPlant9500,Warn9000ti rear,Steelcraft brush/winch mt,RockyRoadrails/Hunner mod,GMUCP,Hunner shock skids,OEM roof lights,Rola roof rack,2GoLight spots,Hunner steering rackmounts,Cranium diff guard,Bulletproof custom tierods,front longer adjust swaybar links,Hunter intake,Jamboree rack,Bilsteins fronts&rear,extended jounce,snorkle,Sy-Klone pre filter,Hutchinson beadlocks. GOT HUNNER EXtreme skids?
Hunner's Alpha
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=7790
Hunner
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: Like Nothing Else

Postby nicetryrobin » Thu Sep 05, 2013 12:28 am

Yep......... Nugget ended up selling the H3 because he would be pushed tot get it back to legal in the 28 days he was given on the defect and wouldn't want it when it was.

Mudflaps are compulsory in Australia (as are the flares) & come standard on all Australian H3's

That said, I got rid of my mudflaps & just replaced them with heavy duty rubber ones as the OEM hard plastic ones didn't cover the tyre width anyhow when I went to 315/75/16 (35's which are illegal anyhow but I have an answer for inspector plod using the 2" rule that will confuse him anyhow )
2008 H3 Adventure
nicetryrobin
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2008 H3 Adventure

Return to General