lift

General Discussion

lift

Postby sleepyboy » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:55 pm

I posted this as a reply to another topic but no one replied so I'm going to try a new thread! My son is going to be turning 16 in 2 months. He is so excited and he is hoping with all of his heart for a car. Well, his dad and I have decided that he deserves one and we are going to pick out a black H3 for him as a surprise birthday morning gift. We will have a bow on it and everything. His will need a wheelchair lift installed so I'm here to ask if Hummer H3's require any special instructions when it comes to making the vehicle accessible. Anybody know? The only company I have heard of that does those wheelchair lift's is that place that I found online while I was searching today. I just need some information on estimated prices, and how to actually have it installed. The van we have now came with the lift so we didn't have to worry about it. I really appreciate any knowledge that you can share!
sleepyboy
New User
New User

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Re: lift

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:55 pm

Off the top of my head I can't think of anybody that has installed a wheelchair lift in an H3. I am guessing the reason you didn't get any response before was nobody know. We generally don't like to post info around here unless we actually know. Good luck on your search and hopefully somebody will post some useful info for you. Your son is going to love the H3, lucky boy.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Robo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:06 pm

I forget the exact web address but if you go into GM's website there is a link somewhere for mobility applications for thier vehicles. You can probably google 'GM mobility solutions' or something similar and find it there. It is a GM authorized mobility place.
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.
Protect your Freedom. Protect your Rights.

http://www.nraila.org
Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Catch and release H3

Postby The Other Rob » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:07 pm

I don't think an H3 is going to be a good choice to put a WC lift in.. Not for him to roll on the steering wheel and drive at least.. It's not going to be anywhere near wide enough to put a chair there. It's a pretty narrow vehicle inside and the transmission tunnel is as wide as a full size vehicle. H2 would be a better choice I think..

Even if the width was there, I really don't think the headroom is without a LOT of body lift so you can carve out the floorboard deep enough to get the chair in there..

If you're thinking he'll be able to slide into the driver's seat, leaving the chair in the back, like in a van.. The bottom of the rear doors are pretty narrow and once again, no room to get a chair in there and then there's no room to get into the drivers seat.

I'm pretty sure you're going to need to be looking for something with a column shift rather than on the floor.. The shifter on the floor is just going to take up to much room..

Better yet.. Try and find a Ford 4x4 Van and set it up.. http://sportsmobile.com/ultimate.html

You owe it to yourself to get in touch with these guys if you're looking to get your sone into the outdoors via 4 wheeling..
http://www.disabledexplorers.com/
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Postby Robo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:33 am

Where's HummBebe? :where: :where: What's her motto, "It's not a mod untill the sawzall comes out" :lol:
Last edited by Robo on Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Constitution of the United States of America and the Bill of Rights guarantees our Freedom and our Rights. They do not protect them.

Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Robo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:02 am

In all seriousness though, I have seen a wheel hair lift where the chair went into the back of the vehicle but the driver was semi-mobile and was able to get into the truck through the driver door.

Robo
Club Member
Club Member

Return to General