Men need to know about Ovarian Cancer Also...

General Discussion

Men need to know about Ovarian Cancer Also...

Postby djinco » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:24 am

Evelyn Lauder, who helped create the pink ribbon for cancer awareness, has died aged 75.

Lauder died at her Manhattan, New York home on Saturday from complications of non-genetic ovarian cancer. She had been diagnosed with cancer in 2007.
Lauder worked for more than 50 years for the beauty products giant, Estee Lauder, which was founded by her mother-in-law.

Yet Lauder is best known as a champion of breast cancer research and for her role in creating the pink ribbon campaign.

In 1992, she worked with her friend Alexandra Penney, the former editor-in-chief of Self magazine, to create the campaign for breast cancer awareness.
It started as a small project with Lauder and her husband, Leonard, largely financing the bows given to women at department store makeup counters to remind them about breast exams.

It expanded into fundraising products, congressional designation of October as Breast Cancer Awareness Month and $330 million in donations — $50 million from Estee Lauder and its partners — to the Breast Cancer Research Foundation, which Lauder also started.

---------------

The Estee Lauder marketing arm has done amazing work to educate everyone about Breast Cancer. Who doesn't know what a Pink Ribbon means? We see Pink Ribbons on tools and dog food.

Who knows what a TEAL ribbon signifies?

Teal is the color for Ovarian Cancer. The silent killer of women - silent because the symptoms are often ignored.

Ovarian cancer is a killer disease.
• It is the deadliest of all gynecologic cancers and the fifth leading cause of cancer deaths among American women.
• A woman’s lifetime risk of developing invasive ovarian cancer is 1 in 71. • More than 21,000 American women will be diagnosed with ovarian cancer each year. • More than 13,850 deaths are expected to be caused by ovarian cancer in the United States in 2010.
Early detection greatly increases survival.
• Ovarian cancer is difficult to diagnose because symptoms are often subtle and easily confused with other conditions.
• When ovarian cancer is detected before it has spread beyond the ovaries, nine out of 10 women will survive for more than five years. However, only 19 percent of ovarian cancer cases in the United States are diagnosed at this early stage.
• Fewer than 20 percent of ovarian cancer patients are diagnosed early. • Survival rates vary depending on the stage of diagnosis.
Learn ovarian cancer’s subtle symptoms.
• Many people do not know that ovarian cancer causes these symptoms in the majority of women who develop the disease: bloating; pelvic and abdominal pain; difficulty eating or feeling full quickly; and urinary symptoms (urgency or frequency).
• Additional symptoms may include fatigue, indigestion, back pain, pain with intercourse, constipation and menstrual irregularities.
• Research shows that women with ovarian cancer do experience symptoms. Without increased education, many women, and their doctors, will ignore or misinterpret symptoms.
• Women need to know if they may be at a higher risk for ovarian cancer, and what action to take, such as exploring whether to have a hysterectomy. Factors that increase risk include: increasing age; personal or family history of ovarian, breast or colon cancer; and never having been pregnant or given birth to a child.
• About 10 to 15 percent of women diagnosed with ovarian cancer have a hereditary tendency to develop the disease.
More research is needed to develop an early detection test and a cure.
• There is no reliable and easy-to-administer early detection test for ovarian cancer (as there is for cervical cancer with a Pap test).
• Ovarian cancer research is drastically under-funded from a survival perspective. Federal appropriations for ovarian cancer research have declined in real dollars, although the death rate has remained stagnant for 30 years.
Cheers, Doug
Colorado Springs

I am sorry that everyone cannot have a Hummer, some folks must drive a Jeep or a Toyota.
djinco
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H3

Re: Men need to know about Ovarian Cancer Also...

Postby USVibrant » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:01 pm

I AM A TEAL WARRIOR WOMAN!
Last edited by USVibrant on Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Postby djinco » Mon Nov 14, 2011 8:47 pm

I hope and pray that my wife is able to make it as long as you have! Yes, the doctors are just practicing, and ultimately we are patients of the Master Healer Jesus. Every three months we go through the stress of the CA-125. Chemo; yes that has really done a number on her bones. Her knees are bone on bone and the shots only work a little bit. It has been a year since her last chemo treatment and her hair is still pretty short.

Each birthday, each holiday we wonder if she'll see another. When we departed Fairplay for the last time this Summer, we both cried wondering if Betty would see Fairplay next Summer.

Every day is a blessing and none of us knows what tomorrow will bring.

Cheers, Doug
Colorado Springs

I am sorry that everyone cannot have a Hummer, some folks must drive a Jeep or a Toyota.
djinco
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H3

Postby USVibrant » Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:18 am

teal-ribbon hxc2.PNG
teal-ribbon hxc2.PNG (3.17 KiB) Viewed 1510 times
Last edited by USVibrant on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Postby USVibrant » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:15 pm

I’m Not Normal I’m a Cancer Survivor

Life with Cancer
March 2011, Los Alamos Monitor

I’ve tried to be normal for over 2 years now and I just can’t do it! To you, I may look normal, sound normal, smile when I should and argue when I shouldn’t, but behind the façade is a person acting out a role. Why? Because cancer changes your life. Normal went out the window.

If you’ve ever been in an oncology clinic, you will probably have seen that poem, taped to the wall, about what cancer cannot do…”It cannot rob you of your smile, it cannot steal your hope…” etc. etc. and it’s very true. But what it can do is make you feel like a pear in an apple basket. That’s probably why I like hanging around with other pears. We can all be pear-shaped together.

In groups, we don’t have to pretend to be what we’re not. I don’t have to hide the fact that I’m a one errand a day girl. That days are classified by 2 naps= bad, 1 nap= good, no naps = I’ll regret it tomorrow. I can groan when I stand up because my joints have seized, say “ouch” when I walk because the soles of my feet hurt, happily turn my neck and demonstrate the load clicking noises it makes, and I don’t always have to be upbeat.

I can recount stories from my list of “Oh my God I don’t believe I just did that”, which includes, putting margarine in my coffee and nearly pouring milk on my toast, trying to clean my teeth with soap, and not being able to write an email without triple checking it (what I think I’m writing is never actually what I wrote!). I don’t feel bad when I forget people’s names, or suddenly can’t remember the word for that thing you do when you get in a car. I can be sub-normal and feel good about it.
Ah but time, you say, The Great Healer. What peeves me about time is that it’s a two edged sword. Yes the longer I’m in remission the fewer side effects I should have, and the less likely it is that my cancer will come back. But, and it’s a big but, the further out I get, the more I have to lose. Why? Because, the more hints I get of what it’s like to be normal again.

None of us like to think that cancer robbed us of our past lives. I’m as big a proponent as anyone that cancer benefits your life and makes it stronger, makes it blessed. But sometimes, when I spend a lot of time with you normal folk, I just get tired of the charade. Instead of acting out ‘It’s a Wonderful Life’ I’d rather be playing Guess Who I Am. And, the truth is, I’m still trying to figure that one out.

We all deal with it in our different ways. Some people deny that it ever happened and never talk about it. Others pour out their hearts. To be honest I’m always too happy to tell people I’ve had cancer. I feel their expectations of me are so much lower! So when I goof up, which is often, I’ll get that sympathetic, “Oh it must be the chemotherapy” look rather than a startled “OMG is she crazy?”

So to be upbeat for a moment (and no I’m not pretending), rather than categorizing ourselves as exhausted or full of energy, struggling with pain or pain-free, feeling normal or abnormal, let’s think of it in a different way. Because when my boyfriend (I changed from husband) complains that I can’t recall a word of the conversation we’ve just had, I’d rather tell him “well Honey, that’s just because I’m special.”
Last edited by USVibrant on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Postby Mu-taint » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:27 am

Sorry but someone has to say it:

Vibrant, yet another notch on your HXC kill belt! Wearing your emotions on your sleeve and going off on a tangent at the slightest thing then saying "sorry" in too many words has been your M.O. from the start. You will want to scale it back quite a bit to help Mark and HXC regain ...... I think I should just leave it at that "scale it back!".

Mark, sorry for stright forward and completely truthful comment but ...... I also have to say farewell. This was once a very informative HUMMER forum where owners could come for advice on mods, photographs and trail reports, HUMMER repairs or suggestions on "how to" projects. The "Oprah" parasite that has completely overrun this great forum is an abashment.

Vibrant, I know there will be few that will come to your ..... aid. They will placate you, but think about the countless members that no longer visit this forum and how it has effected the forum masses and not just how it effects you!

Adios HXC.
No longer here due to USVibrants "rants".
Mu-taint
Club Member
Club Member

Postby USVibrant » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:40 am

Mu-taint wrote:Sorry but someone has to say it:

Vibrant, yet another notch on your HXC kill belt! Wearing your emotions on your sleeve and going off on a tangent at the slightest thing then saying "sorry" in too many words has been your M.O. from the start. You will want to scale it back quite a bit to help Mark and HXC regain ...... I think I should just leave it at that "scale it back!".

Mark, sorry for stright forward and completely truthful comment but ...... I also have to say farewell. This was once a very informative HUMMER forum where owners could come for advice on mods, photographs and trail reports, HUMMER repairs or suggestions on "how to" projects. The "Oprah" parasite that has completely overrun this great forum is an abashment.

Vibrant, I know there will be few that will come to your ..... aid. They will placate you, but think about the countless members that no longer visit this forum and how it has effected the forum masses and not just how it effects you!

Adios HXC.

I am not going to allow myself to attack you Mu-taint, and honestly do not even have the desire to, nor do I have the desire to defend myself with you, because truthfully, from my standpoint you have more of an issue than I do, but only to share my firm belief with you, No doubt your insult will contribute to my growth, and no kidding, I thank you!

EDIT:

FYI: If anyone has the desire to come to my aid, if they are truly my friend, they will not, because they have come to an accurate knowledge of the woman I am, "Pressure either makes coal dust or diamonds." No my friends will want me to swim in this insult of yours. We all know how I have worn my emotions on my sleeve, I am not in denial.

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Postby f5fstop » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:35 pm

Very well said....
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby schyl3r » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:47 am

what a very touchy thread... :)
schyl3r
New User
New User

Postby USVibrant » Fri Feb 17, 2012 6:40 pm

schyl3r wrote:what a very touchy thread... :)

Yeah very touchy thread, I agree, but if you want real entertainment read about Splenda & Sven's. :yup: Now this is really touchy just in a different way! :D :lol: 8)

USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Return to General