Visa & Mastercard

General Discussion

Visa & Mastercard

Postby crawler » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:45 pm

This is happening in the Midwest right now and moving .

This one is pretty slick since they provide YOU with all the information, except the one piece they want..

Note, the callers do not ask for your card number; they already have it.

This information is worth reading. By understanding how the VISA & MasterCard telephone Credit Card Scam works, you'll be better prepared to protect yourself. One of our employees was called on Wednesday from 'VISA', and I was called on Thursday from 'MasterCard'.

The scam works like this:

Person calling says - 'This is (name), and I'm calling from the Security and Fraud Department at VISA. My Badge number is 12460, Your card has been flagged for an unusual purchase pattern, and I'm calling to verify. This would be on your VISA card which was issued by (name of bank). Did you purchase an Anti-Telemarketing Device for $497.99 from a marketing company based in Arizona ?' When you say 'No,' the caller continues with, 'Then we will be issuing a credit to your account. This is a company we have been watching and the charges range from $297 to $497, just under the $500 purchase pattern that flags most cards.. Before your next statement, the credit will be sent to (gives you your address), is that correct?' You say 'yes.'

The caller continues - 'I will be starting a Fraud Investigation. If you have any questions, you should call the 1-800 number listed on the back of your card (1-800-VISA) and ask for Security. You will need to refer to this Control Number. The caller then gives you a 6 digit number. 'Do you need me to read it again?'

Here's the IMPORTANT part on how the scam works - The caller then says, 'I need to verify you are in possession of your card.' He'll ask you to 'turn your card over and look for some numbers.' There are 7 numbers; the first 4 are part of your card number, the last 3 are the Security Numbers that verify you are the possessor of the card. These are the numbers you sometimes use to make Internet purchases to prove you have the card. The caller will ask you to read the last 3 numbers to him. After you tell the caller the 3 numbers, he'll say, 'That is correct, I just needed to verify that the card has not been lost or stolen, and that you still have your card. Do you have any other questions?'

After you say no, the caller then thanks you and states, 'Don't hesitate to call back if you do,' and hangs up. You actually say very little, and they never ask for or tell you the card number. But after we were called on Wednesday, we called back. Within 20 minutes to ask a question. Are we were glad we did! The REAL VISA Security Department told us it was a scam and in the last 15 minutes a new purchase of $497.99 was charged to our card. We made a real fraud report and closed the VISA account. VISA is reissuing us a new number. What the scammers want is the 3-digit PIN number on the back of the card. Don't give it to them. Instead, tell them you'll call VISA or Master Card directly for verification of their conversation..

The real VISA told us that they will never ask for anything on the card as they already know the information since they issued the card! If you give the scammers your 3 Digit PIN Number, you think you're receiving a credit; however, by the time you get your statement you'll see charges for purchases you didn't make, and by then it's almost too late and/or more difficult to actually file a fraud report.

What makes this more remarkable is that on Thursday, I got a call from a 'Jason Richardson of MasterCard' with a word-for-word repeat of the VISA Scam. This time I didn't let him finish. I hung up! We filed a police report, as instructed by VISA. The police said they are taking several of these reports daily! They also urged us to tell everybody we know that this scam is happening. I dealt with a similar situation this morning, with the caller telling me that $3,097 had been charged to my account for plane tickets to Spain , and so on through the above routine.

It appears that this Is a very active scam, and evidently quite successful.
crawler
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: h4 (jeep-chevy)

Re: Visa & Mastercard

Postby USVibrant » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:54 pm

Thank you for this information! :up:
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Postby clean slate » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:49 pm

Thanks! We had gotten a call from the real card company about fraud of one of our cards and it was eerily similar. Shows these people are pros. :no:
clean slate
Club Vice President
Club Vice President

Vehicle: 2007 h3

Postby Charles Helm » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:22 pm

If you get a call from Fraud Prevention, you can just call back to the customer service number on your card and ask them about it, rather than trusting someone who called you.
Charles Helm
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: H2 SUT

Postby JustinOK » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:07 pm

I'd probably log in to my account online and see if there's any activity. Have them try explaining a lack of activity on the phone. They'd probably just hang up. Or give you some excuse.

Perhaps put them on hold (but don't tell them why) and dial the local law enforcement agency's non-emergency line. Wonder if they'd even give a crap though?
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby Mark » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:41 pm

JustinOK wrote:Wonder if they'd even give a crap though?

Probably not. About 15 years ago I had somebody order $1,500 in auto parts on my debit card, shipped overnight to my house so the shipping address matched the billing address. They assumed I would be at work like most people but I worked from home at the time. I called the police and wanted to have them wait for the criminals to come pick up the loot but they said no crime had been committed in their jurisdiction, that the crime was committed in CA where the company that sold the parts was located. Of course I thought that was BS and them just being lazy, of course nothing ever happened. I tracked down whose FedEx account they shipped on, who was the account holder and authorized user for the cell phone they left as a contact number and figured out how and where they got the card number but even with all that they couldn't get off their butts to do anything about it :evil:
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby JustinOK » Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:54 am

Ironically, about an hour after making my post in here I attempted to use my primary credit card for an over the phone purchase. It wasn't declined, but rejected. Odd, so I figured I would call the company up and get to the bottom of it. Turns out some other 3rd party company had some information compromised recently, so my credit card company mailed me a new card and also basically put a stop on my card (without telling me). Of course I'm out of town right now so I never got my new card. I told them I'm out of town and they "reinstated" my card.
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby PhilD » Fri Dec 30, 2011 9:57 am

FWIW I don't believe Visa International or Mastercard ever call customers directly, it will be the issuing bank that calls. Personally, I would never discuss anything with Visa or Mastercard, or anyone claiming to be them.

This time of year the credit card companies do block a lot of transactions as potential fraud, so people will be getting a lot of calls from their card issuers. The scammers also know this so are throwing in a scam calls to catch people off guard.
PhilD
Club Member
Club Member

Return to General