Flushing money

General Discussion

Flushing money

Postby Bayrat » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Yep, even my wallet is due for a flushing according to the Hummer dealer. The first trip in for my "free" oil change with the GM promotional card, they found the air filter dirty so like a dope I ok'd the change without checking price, $85 later my free oil change was done :wall: Additionally, I was advised that my transmission, coolant and brakes were all due for "flushing".

Went back today for my second "free" oil change (which took 2 hours again) and in addition to all the flushings that I did not do the last visit, they added power steering pump and fuel injectors. WTF? If I did all these things I bet the bill would approach 2k. So is it for real or just a way to rip people off? The service writer stated that if I did not do these things and developed a warranty issue, GM may refuse to cover it.

Does anyone actually do all of this stuff at dealer intervals (or at all)? I can see a transmission oil and filter change at some point and even a coolant flush but an injector flush? E-10 should keep them pretty clean I would guess.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3 Championship

Re: Flushing money

Postby JustinOK » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:21 am

Knowing the age, the mileage, the driving history, and the prior maintenance history on the vehicle would be important before forming my opinion of the dealership. Preventative/routine maintenance is very important if you plan on owning your vehicle and wanting to get maximum life from it.

Lastly, and in my opinion, E-10 is crap. I haven't heard one good thing about it. Stick to 100% gas if you can. I carry some Lucas ethanol fuel treatment in my car for when I have no choice but to buy that crap "fuel". Lucky for my 100% gas is easy to purchase in Oklahoma City.
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby Mark » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:42 am

I have seen different maintenance schedules posted at different dealerships and normally they are at lower mileage intervals than the manufacturer recommends. They try to drum up business from people that don't have any idea what schedule they should follow. The only maintenance schedule you need to concern yourself with (warranty wise) is what it says in the manual. It doesn't matter if the dealer says they recommend you flush the transmission every 20K miles if the manufacturer and your manual say every 50K. If an issue arrises they are also going to have to prove that it was due to you not doing the recommended services. Not if you had them do the service but prove you didn't have it done anywhere and that was the cause of the issue.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Bayrat » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:44 am

Forgot to mention, a 2009 Alpha with 39k highway miles. Owned for less than 2 years.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Midnight_H3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:31 am

I've worked for Lexus dealership for almost 4 years along with many independant shops and the whole flush gimmick is just that.... It's a money maker... A big profit margin. A the service advisors are pushed to sell them. Yes a flush and filter change is required at some point but at that milage and use I would definetly hold off... Your best bet is to take it to an independant shop when you feel its due. Usually they won't hit you with such a big bill. Plus the fact that if there is ever a warranty issue, the receipt from any shop stating that the service was completed will satisfy the warranty policy. Just make sure that they use the appropriate fluids..

Also the main concerns are trans, diffs, coolant, and brake. Power steering at 50 to 80k. But I personally would not bother with any flushes until 50k... Just be sure to check all fluids regularly.. any severe discoloration or loss obviously states that there is a more severe problem than just fluid change.

As I previously stated I was a tech at Lexus, along with land rover Jaguar Audi dealerships.... It's about profit not about the health of the vehicle.... And they scare you with the warranty.
Midnight_H3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 06 Hummer H3

Re: Re: Flushing money

Postby Midnight_H3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:38 am

JustinOK wrote:Knowing the age, the mileage, the driving history, and the prior maintenance history on the vehicle would be important before forming my opinion of the dealership. Preventative/routine maintenance is very important if you plan on owning your vehicle and wanting to get maximum life from it.

Lastly, and in my opinion, E-10 is crap. I haven't heard one good thing about it. Stick to 100% gas if you can. I carry some Lucas ethanol fuel treatment in my car for when I have no choice but to buy that crap "fuel". Lucky for my 100% gas is easy to purchase in Oklahoma City.

Agreed completely about the E-10.... Plus its been proven that the E-10 fuel at most stations is actually mixed heavier with ethanol.... Because its cheaper than petrol based fuel... Problem is, its less efficient and turns acidic very quickly.. I've went to several training seminars from ac delco about this issue with fuel pumps along with injectors and other fi components... The problem is in many states including mine (ct) its Damn near impossible to find anything else anymore....
Midnight_H3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Bayrat » Sat Aug 06, 2011 9:27 am

All we have available is E-10 which acts as a solvent and literally cleans tanks etc... ask any boater that has experienced it in their older model boat.

I have performed many transmission oil changes over the years, drop the pan, change the filter. Trick is to drain the torque converter as well. I'm not so sure a simple flush is that good. The coolant I will do myself and keep the records unless I see a deal on it someplace. Power steering I can suck the fluid out with my vacuum pump.

Thanks for the replies..
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby Midnight_H3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 3:07 pm

The only reason I say to bring it to a shop for the trans is they have the machine that basically uses the pump in the trans to flush all fluid including in the torque converter. Leaving no old fluid behind... I wish the converters were like the old ones that actually had plugs..... But that would be to easy. :-)
Midnight_H3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Bayrat » Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Oh, no more plugs? Perhaps I will flush it at some time in the future but the filter IMHO is just as important.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby JustinOK » Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:20 pm

Midnight_H3 wrote:The only reason I say to bring it to a shop for the trans is they have the machine that basically uses the pump in the trans to flush all fluid including in the torque converter. Leaving no old fluid behind... I wish the converters were like the old ones that actually had plugs..... But that would be to easy. :-)

But you haven't changed the filter, and you haven't cleaned the pan/magnet. You can actually carefully drain the torque converter. I've heard a few different ways to do it, but I have never personally tried it.

I will never have any of my transmissions flushed, I will always do the pan drop and get a filter change. I also monitor transmission temp and make sure it doesn't exceed anything too crazy. Above 215 F my personal limits are reached and I'll let her cool down. (Also, at 215 F the fluid is still good for 25,000 miles). A pan drop and filter change will usually let you change about 60-70% of the fluid. Just do that, drive it around for a week, then drain the pan again, then refill. At this point you'll probably have switched out enough of the fluid. :)

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
JustinOK

Postby Midnight_H3 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:46 pm

Very true... If your shop does it that way... Which I'm sorry to say most do.... But if you were to bring it there and tell them to change filter too or do it before you bring it it does help tremendously... Because it not only get all of the old fluid out of the torque converter it also cleans out any particles that are stuck in coolers, lines, etc...... To do it right IMO you need both...
Midnight_H3
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Bayrat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Couldn't agree more... :up:
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Postby JustinOK » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:30 pm

Midnight_H3 wrote:Very true... If your shop does it that way... Which I'm sorry to say most do.... But if you were to bring it there and tell them to change filter too or do it before you bring it it does help tremendously... Because it not only get all of the old fluid out of the torque converter it also cleans out any particles that are stuck in coolers, lines, etc...... To do it right IMO you need both...

If you're going to do a transmission flush, and plan on changing the filter yourself, do it AFTER the flush.

JustinOK

Postby f5fstop » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:36 pm

The local Chevy dealer has given done the free oil changes with NO problems, no pressure sales on any other items. But, I have gone to them for a trans flush, and they are replacing my support with the diff bushing and it is not work, just starting to crack, and they are also replacing my power accessory plug that I melted. :wall:
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby Bayrat » Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:30 pm

f5fstop wrote:The local Chevy dealer has given done the free oil changes with NO problems, no pressure sales on any other items. But, I have gone to them for a trans flush, and they are replacing my support with the diff bushing and it is not work, just starting to crack, and they are also replacing my power accessory plug that I melted. :wall:

Are you saying they are honoring the free changes? It's almost too late, I have two left, but that is news to me. Read my latest thread of another wonderful experience at Valley Cadillac Hummer.
Bayrat
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Next

Return to General