Back to Colorado

General Discussion

Back to Colorado

Postby The Other Rob » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:17 pm

Well.. It's settled.. We'll be loading up and heading back to Colorado for a few days on July 30.. That of course will somewhat depend on my flight from ATL making it back into Memphis on time the night before.. :wall:

Be hanging around Ouray and Telluride a good bit of the week.. May dip over into Southern Utah towards the end of the week and play in the deserts for a day or so before heading back to Memphis a week later.. Plan is to camp most, if not all the week.. Right now, it's just my daughter and myself.. Wife says she has no desire to campout and freeze to death in the Rockies..
--
Rob
WHEEL IT LIKE IT'S SPONSORED..!!!
The Other Rob
Chapter President - MidSouth

Vehicle: Black.. Yeah.. Black

Re: Back to Colorado

Postby alrock » Thu Jul 07, 2011 11:17 pm

Excellent - you'll be able to take this pic from Black Bear Pass yourself!

I'll be behind you by about three weeks. Hitting Ouray and then Moab around August 18.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby Mark » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:08 am

Not that it's in your back door or anything but am so jealous how much closer you are to CO :cry:

Have a great to one each of your trips guys and post plenty of pics.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby JustinOK » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:19 am

Did someone say Colorado?

Have fun and take lots of pictures!
Attachments
Dsc03075e.jpg
Dsc03075e.jpg (64.41 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
DSC03066.JPG
DSC03066.JPG (153.67 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
DSC03069.JPG
DSC03069.JPG (155.91 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
DSC03088.JPG
DSC03088.JPG (145.98 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
DSC03168.JPG
DSC03168.JPG (147.05 KiB) Viewed 1417 times
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby The Other Rob » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:56 pm

alrock wrote:Excellent - you'll be able to take this pic from Black Bear Pass yourself!

I'll be behind you by about three weeks. Hitting Ouray and then Moab around August 18.

Maybe, maybe not.. As of this past weekend Black Bear is still closed due to snow.. Bottom is closed due to some construction project.. Bottom closure is supposed to be reevaluated when the snow melts on the top..
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby f5fstop » Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:23 pm

I just left Ouray last week, and engineer at that time was not totally open to the pass. California gulch was closed. A few others were closed. I believe Ophir was opened the day I left. And engineer from 550 over to the lookout, just before the pass, was almost solid mud, slush and loose boulders laying all over the trail. But it was fun :lol:

As for Blackbear, it should be opened by middle of July, or so they say. For the construction:

BLACK BEAR ROAD CONSTRUCTION CLOSURES (SUMMER 2011)
The City of Telluride will be doing construction on the end portion of the road this summer to put in a new water line. The road will be closed nightly from 9:00 PM until 10:00 AM the following morning. Please do not travel during this time because you will be stuck at the bottom of the "Stairs" overnight until they reopen the road in the morning. Feel free to contact the Visitor's Center in Ouray at 970.325.4746 for more information on this and other closures.

From....
http://www.ouraycolorado.com/Jeep+Road+Conditions

One word of caution reading the Ouray country site. Remember that some of the roads such as Cinammon and Engineer and a few others, are also in Hinsdale County. We originally thought Engineer was open due to the Ouray site, and it was in Ouray County, but not totally open in Hinsdale county.

Taken from engineer...June 26

We made it to the little circle, the larger circle is actually engineer pass, and we not even try it.

And keep those tires tucked in on Blackbear....
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby The Other Rob » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:49 pm

Plan right now is to come in from the east on I-40 and cut north either in Amarillo or on 285 in NM.. West across CO on 160 to South Fork.. Up 149 to the turn off to Stoney Pass.. Hopefully this far by Sunday afternoon.. Plan to camp along the Rio Grande River Sunday night..

Monday head into Silverton and Ouray and try and find an open backroad path into Telluride for the night at the town park campground..

From there who knows.. I'd like to head over into Utah for a day or so during the week, but the parts I'm wanting to check out are so dang remote by the time we'd get there we'd need to be heading back east by Thursday afternoon.. May just check out some of the passes and flip back and forth between Ouray and Telluride.. There's a local musician playing in Telluride Wed night I'd like to check out.. When I say local, I mean he's from North Mississippi.. May drag a pole along and find some quite stream or alpine lake and see if I can catch a few fish or something for dinner one night..

Will be dragging a small trailer with us, so I imagine I'll stay pretty clear of Black Bear, regardless of the snow situation..
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby alrock » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:24 am

If you're dragging a trailer, I would stay away from Imogene and Black Bear Pass. But you can do Last Dollar Road as a very scenic way to get from Ouray to Telluride.

alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby f5fstop » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:16 pm

From Ouray, Moab is about 2.5-3 hours away. I did it in about 3 hours, five minutes a few weeks ago,but a small rock slide on the road had me crawling before I hit a trail, and I also have to stop to let the dog kill CO grass. :D
GONE FROM THE HUMMER WORLD!
f5fstop
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 2016 Sierra Z714x4 CC SLT

Postby The Other Rob » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:28 pm

Those time sound about right.. We went through Ouray a couple of years back on the way to Moab.. We left Ouray about 4pm and were checking into our motel in Ouray about 7pm.. If we hit Southern Utah I was planning on more of an overland route.. There seem to be tons of backroad paths between 141 in CO and 191 in Utah..
--
Rob
The Other Rob

Postby SummitUp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:03 am

f5fstop wrote:And keep those tires tucked in on Blackbear....

Good advice! :lol:

37" KM2's on 17" Hutchinson Beadlocks, Cognito UCA's, Cognito Sway Bar Links, Custom Hydro-Assist Steering Upgrade, Bilstein Shocks,
Warn 9.5ti Winch, Viking Synthetic Winch Cable, Piaa & Hella Off-road lights, Gobi Rack, Tru-Cool Transmission Oil Cooler, Eaton Front Locker, 4.56 Gears, Rubber Duck UCP Protection, Diablo Predator Hi-Octane Tune.
SummitUp
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 2005 H2

Postby Seth » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:00 pm

SummitUp wrote:
f5fstop wrote:And keep those tires tucked in on Blackbear....

Good advice! :lol:

You really like driving on the edge! Haha :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Return to General