Sad news I need to pass on...

General Discussion

Sad news I need to pass on...

Postby hitech » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:35 am

I have some very sad news I need to convey. On Tuesday, March 1 at 2:00pm Rich passed away from a massive heart attack. He had a smaller heart attack in June, but we all thought he was doing much better. He seemed in better health and this has come as a huge surprise to his family and friends. We are all still in shock.

There will be a viewing on Friday (3/4) and a memorial service on 3/19. I will get the details and post them here so anyone who wishes to attend may do so.

I know some of you knew him very well and I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but I don't have any other way of letting you know. Sorry you had to find out like this.

I've known Rich since we were kids. I've lost one of my best friends and my life has been permanently changed. Things will just never be the same.

His family is still deeply in shock, waiting to wake up from their nightmare. It's going to be devastating when it fully hits the kids. They do have lots of family and friends providing as much support as possible.

I'll post the details of the services as soon as I get them.

UPDATE:

The viewing will be tomorrow, Friday, March 3rd from 3:00 – 5:00pm at the Smith and Whitter Funeral Home, located at 5145 Sobrante Avenue, El Sobrante.

The memorial service will be Saturday, March 19 starting at 11:00am at Valley Bible Church which is located at 1477 Willow Avenue in Hercules, California.

Anyone wanting to attend and concerned about finding the church please PM me and I will make sure you can find it.
Last edited by hitech on Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hitech
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Re: Sad news I need to pass on...

Postby SycloneRay » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:17 am

He was my best friend and we will all miss him.

Ray
1991 GMC Syclone. I fear no truck at a stoplight
SycloneRay
New User
New User

Postby USVibrant » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:49 am

Very much sad news! :cry:

What do you say, nothing can really ever ease the loss.

My thoughts and prayers go out to all of his family and friends, to comfort them through this difficult time. Sending many positive vibes across the miles to all.
Real Women Drive Hummers and This One, once upon a time, Owned Her Own. Now she is just the black Jeep of the Hummer Family going topless and becoming way too dirty. (No Recovery Needed)

I would rather be found camping & off-roading than to be found at home
USVibrant
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: Darkside-07 Wrangler Jeep

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:19 am

Please join me in including Rich, his wife, son and daughter in your prayers. Even though we had a continent between us I consider Rich to be one of my good friends and I will treasure the time we did get to spend together. Rich was one of the strongest friends to HXC and even more so to those of us that got to spend time with him. We first met face to face only 3 short years ago on a trip to Pismo in CA and hit it off immediately but were already friends just from our interactions online. I am honored to have been able to call Rich a friend and already miss him.

Please use this thread to post memories of Rich as well as messages to he and his family. It has not sunk in yet as I kept telling myself yesterday and then again this morning as I woke up, that didn't really happen right. I think using this thread as our own little memorial will help a lot of us that might not be able to get to the memorial.

For anyone that would like to attend the services or send flowers we will post the information as it is available. We are also talking about setting up a fund in which people can send money for flowers.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby JustinOK » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:04 am

This is very very sad news. Rich was a great guy and the community was very lucky to have him. He definitely made this a better place and will sorely be missed.

RIP friend.

:(
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby Alec W » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:49 am

Mark just texted me, I’m at a loss for words right now.

Rich was one of the nicest guys I’ve even had the pleasure of spending time with. Awesome man, amazing wife, great kids, simply a pleasure share time with on the vacations we shared over the years.

Deepest thoughts to H and the kids, I don’t have the words right now….

RIP Rich!

:cry:
Alec W
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: Unlimited Rubicon

Postby awolhmv » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:17 am

Our prayers are with his family. I just was chatting with him last week on his project.
awolhmv
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2001 H1

Postby Bellvis » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:21 am

I already miss you Brother Rich!
When I found out yesterday morning, I was in shock. I was just talking with him about hockey on Sunday.
Thank you for all the great memories my friend, you will be greatly missed.
Miss you Rich! Thank's for all the memories!
Bellvis
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: The Boobicon

Postby hitech » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:18 pm

I've added the info about the viewing to the first post.
hitech
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby ronb » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:55 pm

wow. I am without words. Never met Rich but chatted on the phone several times. Very sad.
Last edited by ronb on Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby Sewie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:39 pm

I wasn't sure if there was going to be a public thread on this, but I'm glad something was posted. Bebe called me Tuesday afternoon to tell me. Needless to say I was shocked and am deeply saddened. I spent a fair amount of time with Rich on various NorCal Hummer Group and HXC wheeling/camping trips. And we got together other times for dinner or a Sharks game. He and his family were always fun to be around and he will be missed. I feel terrible for H and the kids.

Most of my pics from the trips on are my home computer. I'll add some to this thread when I get a chance.

RIP friend. :cry:
Sewie
Trail Master
Trail Master

Vehicle: '74 EB

Postby hitech » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:27 pm

I wasn't sure who his wife might have called, and I noticed that no one had posted anything. I figured that anyone who knew did not want to invade their privacy, so I went ahead and posted.

HummerX gave Rich a huge amount of pleasure, and those of you on this forum were a large part of the reason why. He loved this place.
hitech
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Mark » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:55 pm

hitech wrote:I figured that anyone who knew did not want to invade their privacy, so I went ahead and posted.

You are absolutely correct, that is why we hadn't posted anything yet. Was waiting until today to post anything and was actually happy to see your post this morning, just wasn't how to do our friend justice but you certainly did.
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby alrock » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:19 pm

Such a tragic loss. I appreciate you sharing this news. I never got to meet Rich but he certainly had a great reputation.
alrock
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2007 H3

Postby HummBebe » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:36 pm

I really don't have the words.
WARNING: It's not a "MOD" till the sawzall comes out, and then it's all downhill from there
HummBebe
Club Member
Club Member

Next

Return to General