Hummer Ham Radio Operators

General Discussion

Re: Hummer Ham Radio Operators

Postby n3bxh » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:46 pm

Well the cheese is not here yet for the truck, settled on an HMMWV 1991. Gonna get it around Xmas time. Should have it ready by February '10. I posted a thread in General of the interior of the new one. Just got to get the cheese.

Michael
Amateur Radio Communications Vehicle
1991 HMMWV
Able to Communicate from MD to Australia direct RF
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 1992 M998 HMMWV

Postby Gleamor » Sun Jun 05, 2011 12:20 am

I'm gonna see if I can revive this old thread!

Just got my ticket today, only waiting for it to show in the database. In the meantime i've got an H2 I want to stuff my gear in

If anyone has pictures of what they have done please share.

I'm going to be installing an FT-8800, BCD996XT, RCI-2950DX, some external speakers and a couple of MFJ-822/824 meters to keep an eye on things

What ya got
Gleamor
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2004 H2

Postby JustinOK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:52 am

I'm a Hummer ham and my name is Justin. :lol: I got my technican license in Nov 2010 and upgraded to general in Mar 2011. The testing process is very easy, if I can do it, anyone can! If you pass the techician you can test for general in the same sitting and not have to pay any additional fees. And actually, if you really study up, you can take all three tests (tech, general, and extra) all at once, for the same price!

I also have a Yaesu FT-8800R in my truck (and a Cobra 29 CB, too). For the ham I'm using a Comet SBB5 antenna which is mag mounted to the roof. This antenna folds over, very convenient for my garage! For the CB I have a 4' fiberglass whip drilled through the rear bumper. The Yaesu 8800 operates on VHF and UHF (144-148 mhz and 430-450mhz are the transmit ranges, while it is able to to receive from 108 - 520 mhz, and 700 - 999.995 mhz).

In my Hummer, I use a Rigrunner as a "power source". They offer different models, but here's the one I use. It's wired directly to the battery and allows other accessories to be wired to it, all fused. It even has two USB ports.
http://www.powerwerx.com/west-mountain- ... 4-usb.html

I'll attach a few pics of my setup. (I just noticed that the pic I took doesn't show the mic for the ham, but I used their supplied mic clip which is mounted to the driver side of the radio, keeps the mic secured and within reach.)

Note - Also have an FT-8800 in my Ford Ranger and one as a base station at home. For HF I have a Yaesu FT-890 (base station). Also have an Icom IC-2200H (VHF only) in my Ford Taurus and one in my garage as a base station, while I'm working in the garage.
Attachments
DSC02950.JPG
DSC02950.JPG (152.02 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
DSC02951.JPG
DSC02951.JPG (147.72 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
DSC02959.JPG
DSC02959.JPG (158.89 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
DSC02958.JPG
DSC02958.JPG (141.41 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
DSC02551.JPG
DSC02551.JPG (136.69 KiB) Viewed 2575 times
1998 TD 4 Door Hard Top (HMC4) w/ 91K miles
Updated block and loaded with parts from Hummer Parts Guy and Blue Hummer

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
Stanadyne Performance Formula every fill-up and ScanGauge II full time.
JustinOK
Chapter President - Oklahoma

Vehicle: 98 TD HMC4

Postby JustinOK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:17 am

dailydriver wrote:I don't have a HAM and probably will never get one. Then again I said the same thing about a CB. When I installed my CB I made it so everything will fit inside the void where the CD changer originally was. The idea was I could close the CD changer door and my interior would look unchanged. But I have fallen to the way side and am now a internet, CB, and web forum geek. I enjoy listening to a few guys down at the Tijuana border that crack me up. Their radios are so powerful I can hear them all the way up in OC and way out near the base of Big Bear mountain. Maybe some of the other So Cal guys have heard them. It kind of made me interested in a HAM or more powerful radio to listen to characters like that.

:lol:

HummerDan's Hardcore Skid Guards, Fender Guards, & Locking Fuel Doors; Ham (VHF/UHF) & CB radios; Predator RapTorq4 PCM; mechanical wastegate; Cepek Adjustable Shocks; D-Tech PMD.
JustinOK

Postby Seth » Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:37 pm

Wow, Justin, it sounds like you have enough radios to get you through the zombie apocalypse. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby JustinOK » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:15 pm

Seth wrote:Wow, Justin, it sounds like you have enough radios to get you through the zombie apocalypse. :lol: :lol: :lol:

New hobby and its fun, what can I say?

JustinOK

Postby Gleamor » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:01 pm

Well looks like I have collected all the gear I can stand for a moment. As soon as my H2 is back from the body shop (For inquiring minds http://www.hummerforums.com/forum/audio-visual-interior-modifications-29/03-h2-project-break-24307/) it will be install time.

Ordered a Comet CSB-790A antenna, I'll spring mount it on the drivers side opposite the CB whip. Going to pick up an FT-7900r and mount it in the center console pocket with the head remote in the space between shifter and center console if I can get it so it doesnt interfere with being in 1st gear (which I use alot as I go off road regularly)

If you look at the picks in the post link above you can see the before. I'll post the during and after here probably starting next Monday when I get it back.
Gleamor
New User
New User

Vehicle: 2004 H2

Postby dailydriver » Thu Jun 30, 2011 5:04 pm

JustinOK wrote:
dailydriver wrote:I don't have a HAM and probably will never get one.

:o
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 1998 HMCS

Postby h2005 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:26 pm

Us inquiring minds will be waiting for the install photos
h2005
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: H2

Postby h2005 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 12:50 pm

Will we ever get a Ham Radio communications section on HummerXclub?
h2005
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby JustinOK » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:42 pm

JustinOK

Postby h2005 » Fri Sep 09, 2011 5:35 pm

Thanks, Have been a member for awhile now
h2005
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby wpage » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Nice set up Justin...
What do you think of this. My IC 600 from my fishing boat is sitting on the shelf. Its a little big for my H3 but was thinking of using it "off season" in my Hummer.
Think that big boy is work riggin up and where would you suggest locating it?
Thanks!
JustinOK wrote:I'm a Hummer ham and my name is Justin. :lol: I got my technican license in Nov 2010 and upgraded to general in Mar 2011. The testing process is very easy, if I can do it, anyone can! If you pass the techician you can test for general in the same sitting and not have to pay any additional fees. And actually, if you really study up, you can take all three tests (tech, general, and extra) all at once, for the same price!

I also have a Yaesu FT-8800R in my truck (and a Cobra 29 CB, too). For the ham I'm using a Comet SBB5 antenna which is mag mounted to the roof. This antenna folds over, very convenient for my garage! For the CB I have a 4' fiberglass whip drilled through the rear bumper. The Yaesu 8800 operates on VHF and UHF (144-148 mhz and 430-450mhz are the transmit ranges, while it is able to to receive from 108 - 520 mhz, and 700 - 999.995 mhz).

In my Hummer, I use a Rigrunner as a "power source". They offer different models, but here's the one I use. It's wired directly to the battery and allows other accessories to be wired to it, all fused. It even has two USB ports.
http://www.powerwerx.com/west-mountain- ... 4-usb.html

I'll attach a few pics of my setup. (I just noticed that the pic I took doesn't show the mic for the ham, but I used their supplied mic clip which is mounted to the driver side of the radio, keeps the mic secured and within reach.)

Note - Also have an FT-8800 in my Ford Ranger and one as a base station at home. For HF I have a Yaesu FT-890 (base station). Also have an Icom IC-2200H (VHF only) in my Ford Taurus and one in my garage as a base station, while I'm working in the garage.
"You will receive power"
Acts 1:8
W
wpage
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: H3

Previous

Return to General