Hummer Ham Radio Operators

General Discussion

Re: Hummer Ham Radio Operators

Postby buzzkillg230rc » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:35 am

Since we have a couple of So Cal Hams here.. just curious what repeaters you frequent?

looks like we might loose some that are Mt. Wilson.. bummer.
buzzkillg230rc
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Postby NY ESU » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:25 pm

Here's a cool site for 4x4 Hams...

http://4x4ham.ning.com/

A ham radio on a linked repeater system will allow for communications between 4x4's in different states, which can be useful while traveling to and from runs when you're not convoying together.

On the trail, a simplex frequency can be used which will give performance similiar to a CB, without all the static.

Many hams started on CB, got tired of the BS and AH's and advanced to amateur radio.
NY ESU
Club Member
Club Member

Vehicle: 2006 H3

Postby 83rdrecon » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 pm

I am also HAM radio operator. I have CB too, but the 2 meter VHF FM rig in my H3 is the main point of communications for me. I will post pics of my radios installed tommorrow when It's daylight outside. If you like CB, you will love the HAM. There is no reason anyone should not have one. The test is too easy, and there is no code requirements anymore.
2008 H3 Savannah, GA
83rdrecon
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2008 H3

Postby n3bxh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:59 pm

I am a Ham too. Just joined forum. I have a 1998 Merc Mounty with more antennas on it than you can shake a ham stick at :) Anyways, I am buying a 1996 H1 Wagon here real soon, and have Mil antennas to put on it for Ham Radio. If anyone has any questions on installing gear into or on truck, I am a professional Up-Fitter for Public Safety vehicles, as well as POV's. Hello to everyone here..

Michael

N3BXH
Eastern Shore of MD
Last edited by n3bxh on Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amateur Radio Communications Vehicle
1991 HMMWV
Able to Communicate from MD to Australia direct RF
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 1992 M998 HMMWV

Postby Mark » Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:17 pm

Welcome to HXC Michael and congratulations on the upcoming H1 purchase 8)
Hummer X Club Florida Chapter
mailto:florida@hummerxclub.com
Mark
Chapter President - Florida
Chapter President - Florida

Vehicle: 09 H3 Alpha/74 Int. Scout

Postby Seth » Thu Sep 24, 2009 3:26 pm

Mark wrote:Welcome to HXC Michael and congratulations on the upcoming H1 purchase 8)

X2. I hope to learn a lot of HAM stuff from you in the future.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby n3bxh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:34 pm

Seth wrote:
Mark wrote:Welcome to HXC Michael and congratulations on the upcoming H1 purchase 8)

Who is X2???
1991 HMMWV
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby n3bxh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:41 pm

theBroken wrote:What do you need a ham for? Does it do the same thing as a CB? Does the CB not do what the HAM can do? Can a CB and HAM talk to each other?

Let me sum it up like this: I can talk to Australia from My Mounty, and soon, my new H1. Can you do that with 4w on a CB?
What an Amateur Radio Operator is.

Amateur Radio is an immensely important and valuable emergency management resource. There are Amateur Radio operators, popularly known as Ham Radio operators or simply Hams, in every county of the United States. There are countless examples of Hams providing essential communications during disasters, when all other lines of communications have failed.

Becoming an Amateur Radio operator is not as simple as buying a two-way radio and turning it on. All Hams are licensed by the Federal Communications Commission. Licenses are issued to individuals who, through rigorous testing, have demonstrated their knowledge and expertise in radio theory and procedure.

The use of special frequencies, including 2-meter repeaters which are most widely used by ARES/RACES groups, is regulated and standardized using protocols established by the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). In every corner of the nation, Hams participate in local clubs which own and operate these repeaters that enhance and extend radio communications.

For local and state emergency management coordinators, the presence of trained Amateur Radio operators using their high-quality radio gear is nothing short of a Godsend. Surprisingly, though, Hams have not been implemented into planning and preparedness in many communities. This is oversight is often due to a lack of understanding or confusion with Citizen Band radio operators and their national organization, REACT.

The nationally organized emergency management applications of amateur radio include the Amateur Radio Emergency Service, or ARES (pronounced AIR-ease), and the Radio Amateur Civil Emergency Service, or RACES (pronounced RAY-seize). RACES is an activity of the Federal Emergency Management Agency. It was orignially established to enable an official network during national security crises. As planned then, only Hams trained and enrolled in RACES would be permitted to operate during such disasters. With the end of the Cold War, the role of RACES has evolved, emphasizing all-hazard measures. Any local or state emergency management agency can establish a RACES organization of local Hams.

ARES is set up as part of the ARRL. ARES organizations operate in support of state and local emergency management. ARES teams participate in severe weather observation (Skywarn), search and rescue operations, support of major public events and just about any situation where reliable communications links are needed to replace or augment normal emergency communications systems. In some areas, ARES and RACES are combined.

The American Red Cross has relied heavily upon Amateur Radio for years. The ARC has found Hams to be extremely helpful in support of its human welfare mission.

Experienced emergency management professionals know that everyday communications links (e.g. land & cellular telephones, public service radios) may not exist during major emergencies. Almost certainly, Hams will be up and ready to serve. As one individual put it, "HAM" stands for "Helping All Mankind".

So, as you can see, everyone needs a "HAM". But not everybody needs to ba an Amateur Radio Operator. I view Amateur Radio as a profession, as I am a Professional in what I do. I am an ARES and RACES Menber, as well as a Spotter/Chaser for the NWS. If you want to talk far, and talk to thousands of people in a life time, that would never have been possible with a CB. Then come, learn and enjoy. :up: CB doesn't even come close to what amateur radio can do, and will be here pretty much forever. It is fun, hard work, but it pays off in the end. If you have any questions, please ask. No question is stupid, just stupid if never asked.

Michael

N3BXH
1991 HMMWV
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby n3bxh » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:56 pm

What do Amateur Radio Operators do in Emergencies?
This is still under investigation... No just kidding. The following is an excerpt from the West Chester ARES/RACES Website:
What Do Ham Radio Operators Do in Emergencies?
Depending on the nature of the emergency, hams volunteer to perform a number of functions:
They "shadow" government and agency officials. Shadows ride "shotgun" in officials' vehicles follow them on foot and keep them in touch, typically via VHF/UHF repeater systems.
They set up and operate base stations at shelters, command posts, emergency operations centers, agency headquarters, hospitals, and the like, providing communications among the various agencies and their officials out in the field (who are being shadowed by a ham).
They operate in local, regional, and national traffic nets which move information in the form of "radiograms" into and out of disaster areas.
Besides voice communications, they use digital communications to move data about victims, supplies, etc. accurately by radio; use Amateur TV to provide live video imagery to aid in damage assessment and recovery; and save the world from alien invaders with the Morse Code (just kidding).
They remain flexible and adapt to changing circumstances as needed, always carrying a large "bag of tricks" (jump bag).
Hams have been providing these types of services to the public since 1913. Emergency communications is the first of the founding tenets of the Amateur Radio Service as codified in the FCC rules (part 97, title 47 of the US Code of Federal Regulations
1991 HMMWV
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Seth » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:16 pm

n3bxh wrote:
Seth wrote:

Who is X2???

"X2" means "times two". In other words, I agree, ditto, I would say the same thing, etc.
Seth

Postby n3bxh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:47 pm

ok, cool, now I know. Never seen that before. I hope the information I gave was helpful.

Michael
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby 83rdrecon » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:00 pm

My setup, plan on replacing the 2m with ICOM 706 when I upgrade to general class. Current set up is cheap cobra CB with dual 2' antennas, and Yeasu FT1802 with 5/8 wave hi gain mag mount antenna. Base is Under the roof rack. Still working on the wiring harness for my lights.

KC7VHF

Speaker is for the 2meter, getting one for the other side for the CB - I'm hard of hearing.
2008 H3 Savannah, GA
83rdrecon
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2008 H3

Postby n3bxh » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:30 pm

That on a H2? You might be able to tuck those wires up under the center console to clean it up from foot clutter. Looks good...

Michael

Here is a look at my 98' Mounty... The H1 will look different of course, but here is my ham install:
0927091052c.jpg
0927091052c.jpg (69.72 KiB) Viewed 4106 times
Attachments
0927091052d.jpg
0927091052d.jpg (73.18 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
0927091054.jpg
0927091054.jpg (64.75 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
0927091055a.jpg
0927091055a.jpg (85.55 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
0927091059a.jpg
0927091059a.jpg (88.72 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
0927091051.jpg
0927091051.jpg (64.63 KiB) Viewed 4105 times
1991 HMMWV
n3bxh
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Seth » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 pm

n3bxh wrote:That on a H2?

No, that's actually an H3. He could probably still tuck those wires up under the carpet and console.
Seth

Postby clean slate » Mon Nov 02, 2009 7:56 pm

Sorry for pulling up an outdated post but how is the instal going on the H1 n3bxh? Got any pics?
clean slate
Club Vice President
Club Vice President

Vehicle: 2007 h3

PreviousNext

Return to General