Hummer Ham Radio Operators

General Discussion

Hummer Ham Radio Operators

Postby buzzkillg230rc » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:58 am

Do any of the Hummer owners here operate HAM radio?

if so do you have a rig installed?

Please post pics!

Thanks

De'Angelo
KG6YGD
buzzkillg230rc
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: Hummer H3

Re: Hummer Ham Radio Operators

Postby Seth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:03 pm

I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting one someday. The range that a ham radio can provide is amazing.
Keep your wits sharp, your heart open, and your gun loaded.
Seth
Chapter President - SoCal

Vehicle: JK Rubicon Unlimited

Postby dailydriver » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:39 pm

I don't have a HAM and probably will never get one. Then again I said the same thing about a CB. When I installed my CB I made it so everything will fit inside the void where the CD changer originally was. The idea was I could close the CD changer door and my interior would look unchanged. But I have fallen to the way side and am now a internet, CB, and web forum geek. I enjoy listening to a few guys down at the Tijuana border that crack me up. Their radios are so powerful I can hear them all the way up in OC and way out near the base of Big Bear mountain. Maybe some of the other So Cal guys have heard them. It kind of made me interested in a HAM or more powerful radio to listen to characters like that.
1998 HMCS
130,000 miles
dailydriver
Trail Rider
Trail Rider

Vehicle: 1998 HMCS

Postby HummerLite » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:26 pm

I've installed a Yaesu FT-8800R in my 2006 H-3 also have a VX-7R handheld.....
I'll post some pics soon
Fred
KB1SCL
2006 H-3, BA Beadlocks with 35's,Rod Hall Fox Racing Shoxs, ARB Snorkel, DOI winch bumper,DOI UCP, Warn M8000, Gobi rack, Gobi Ladder, Dual Batterys,Vision X Xmitter Lightbar, Yaesu 8800R Ham Radio,Yeasu VX-7R Portable Ham, RS TRC485 CB Radio, Masterflow onboard air compressor, 2000w 120 volt inverter, Firestone Airbags with onboard compressor, Hadly airhorns,etc ...WWW.HummerFanatics.com
HummerLite
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Vehicle: 2006 Hummer H-3

Postby jbo4 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:39 pm

I also am an operator. I will take pics tomorrow and post them.

JB
k9hum
jbo4
New User
New User

Vehicle: 06 Alpha

Postby HummerLite » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:06 pm

Here is the picture of the 2006 H-3 with a Yaesu FT-8800R

Fred
KB1SCL
Attachments
New pics 012small.jpg
(250.31 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
2006 H-3, BA Beadlocks with 35's,Rod Hall Fox Racing Shoxs, ARB Snorkel, DOI winch bumper,DOI UCP, Warn M8000, Gobi rack, Gobi Ladder, Dual Batterys,Vision X Xmitter Lightbar, Yaesu 8800R Ham Radio,Yeasu VX-7R Portable Ham, RS TRC485 CB Radio, Masterflow onboard air compressor, 2000w 120 volt inverter, Firestone Airbags with onboard compressor, Hadly airhorns,etc ...WWW.HummerFanatics.com
HummerLite
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby Seth » Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:31 pm

HummerLite wrote:Here is the picture of the 2006 H-3 with a Yaesu FT-8800R

Fred
KB1SCL

I really like the look and small profile of that unit. How do you like it?
Seth

Postby HummerLite » Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:38 pm

I like it alot, I like the size of the head unit it fits great in the H-3, It works great too....
HummerLite
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby buzzkillg230rc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:02 am

Fred
KB1SCL

Very cool, did you find much space to hide the main unit...?

73 KG6YGD
buzzkillg230rc
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby theBroken » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:01 pm

What do you need a ham for? Does it do the same thing as a CB? Does the CB not do what the HAM can do? Can a CB and HAM talk to each other?
theBroken
Trail Guide
Trail Guide

Vehicle: 2008 h3

Postby buzzkillg230rc » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:21 pm

hmm.. maybe some other HAMS can chime in..
But CB is on a different frequency than the Amateur Radio Bands..

CB is 11 meters and is open for all to use, and technically by fcc rules your limited to 4 watts of power on AM and 12 watts on SSB.. granted most people tune thier CBS for 20 watts or greater.. CB also is point to point communication (you have one and yer friend(s) have one and u talk), its also channelized to 40 channels unless you have high end illegal CB..Galaxy dx 959 or something..

HAM - Amateur Radio you have full segments of the band to play with your no channelized, HAM can run up to 1500watts pep power unless otherwise noted and technician (which is your first license) can run 200 watts on HF (high Freq) bands. The rule of thumb is run only as much power as needed.

For around town and out in the open i prob run no more than 25 watts of power.

Another neat thing is repeaters, around town we have many repeaters that are open for use (free) that will bounce yer signal all over. for example.. I live in Azusa and have a repeater thats maybe 10 miles from me, if i hit the repeater my signal can be heard by my buddy who live in Los Angeles 20 miles away using 5 watts or less of power.. Also know some repeaters are linked, so if you use one of those you could be hitting a repeater in Los Angeles but be talking to some one in Arizona or Utah..

Those are just some of the things you can do... I hope more HAMS Chime in..

Also know to get yer Tech license, it cost 15 bux for the test and you can study online via www.qrz.com , the test consist of 35 questions.

Get yer License!
buzzkillg230rc
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby HummerLite » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:10 pm

buzzkillg230rc wrote:

Fred
KB1SCL

Very cool, did you find much space to hide the main unit...?

73 KG6YGD

I mounted the main unit on the rear panel ( behind the left hand rear window ) I used the slide mount that Yaesu has discontinued.... ( you still can find them around ) Was thinking I might wanna use it as a base too.... But, I've only used a few times in the home....
I'll try to get some more pictures up..

Ham radio is much easier on the ears too, people are more polite, and has much better range then the C.B. does...... I still have both in the H-3 ( for trail runs and stuff )
HummerLite
Trail Novice
Trail Novice

Postby ronb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:10 pm

The group I wheel with uses ham. After a few years of ham it's hard to go back to cb (cb's are convenient but suck balls). I have a yaesu unit and a cheap cb mounted up top to the roll bar. I never really cared about distance because I only used it while wheeling, so I only have a wimpy magnetic antenna on my rear tire carrier (antenna can be easily moved in low brush) but I think I might beef it up because I plan on using it as a chase vehicle when I'm not in the race truck. Here's a recent shot where you can see the radios (both small). More important to have is a hula-girl.

3623243263_b1abcd2883_b.jpg
3623243263_b1abcd2883_b.jpg (145.12 KiB) Viewed 3810 times

rb
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer

Postby Seth » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:32 pm

theBroken wrote:What do you need a ham for? Does it do the same thing as a CB? Does the CB not do what the HAM can do? Can a CB and HAM talk to each other?

I used to have your same opinion. However, I have learned so much and have been completely sold. The distance is the key factor. A lot of people who just use CB's and FRS for communicating on trails in off-road parks don't have a need for distance. Everybody is real close and if anyone breaks or gets stranded you can go back to the front entrance for a phone, etc. Out west here we wheel out in the middle of nowhere. I have been stranded a few times where a HAM radio would have come in real handy. Just yesterday I was stranded out in middle of the desert with a blown half-shaft. No communication with the outside world. If I would of had a HAM, I could have called in support. Luckily, I had some good guys with me and we were able to get things up and going with some Macgyver ingenuity.

HAM's can use internet repeaters as well. From San Diego I can talk to someone in Russia or Australia for free. You can even call someones phone number on some repeaters. It's all real technical, but the possibilities are huge.

For wheeling with friends on the basic level, a HAM isn't necessary as a CB will do the same thing. However, when needed the HAM can really help for long distance communications; even on the trail. When traveling through canyons, if the group gets separated, the front can't talk with the rear. With a HAM, it will reach a couple of miles even in canyon terrain.
Seth

Postby ronb » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:45 pm

also hams/vhf are really clear and cb's usually sound gawd awful
97.5 hmco with lots of goodies
ronb
Trail Expert
Trail Expert

Vehicle: 97.5 hummer